CtrlAltDel

[Solved] CPU Overheat + Corsair H100i v1: ("CPU Fan Error" + "CPU Over Temperature Error”)

Posted (edited)

I have a 6-year-old, self-built, AIO water cooled PC (specs below) that for various reasons has only been in regular use for the past 3 years. For those last 3 years, there has been no change in configuration and things have been running smoothly (successful stress test done a year ago). Two days ago, I received a "CPU Fan Error" and “CPU Over Temperature Error” on bootup and on subsequent examination, the CPU was found to be running consistently at 99-100 C at idle (rapid linear increase).

SPECS:

Cooling (liquid): Corsair H100i v1

CPU: Intel i7-4770K

MoBo: Asus Maximus VI Formula

PSU: Corsair HX1000

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

From my reading, the possible reasons for this "CPU fan error and overheat" could be:

a) Cable connection issues (to the PSU and/or motherboard)

b) Thermal paste has dried up

c) Poor seating of CPU cooler and/or dust clogged exhaust fans

d) Failure of the AIO water cooler

What I did:

A) Cable Connection Issues: Since the configuration has not changed and the computer has been running smoothly till now, I assume that this cannot be the issue. In any case, all connections were found to be secure (including the three pin "CPU_fan") and I even changed the SATA connection to the PSU with no improvement.

B) Thermal Paste Drying: Old thermal paste was removed and replaced with fresh paste

C) Poor Seating or Clogged Fans: Seating was confirmed to be solid; exhaust fans (horizontal, located at the top of the case) are visibly working and dust free. Mild vibration in pipes is felt.

D) Failure of AIO Water-cooling: When the status of the H100i was checked using Corsair's Link application, it showed coolant temperature at 70-80 C (on average), pump fan speed at around 2500 rpm and exhaust fan speed at around 2700 rpm.

After all this, I still am receiving the same errors.

So, my question is how should I proceed? Everything seems to be working! Despite this, the CPU is not being cooled.

A) Cables seem secure.

B) Thermal paste has been replaced.

C) Despite the CPU fan error thrown up, the Link software shows both the pump fan and exhaust fans are running. In addition, the high temperature of the coolant would seem to indicate that it is taking up the heat from the CPU. Is it sufficient to say the water cooler is working because the fans are working? Could the fans be working and the water cooler still not doing its job? Any way to check that?

D) Additional Question: The CPU is currently running at 100 C at idle/minimum load, as soon as Windows loads. Is that solely because of the lack of heat removal or could the CPU itself be at fault? Shouldn't a CPU at idle run at a much lower temperature even in the absence of cooling?

Finally, where can I find the fan settings in BIOS? I cannot seem to locate them.

I do not want to buy a new CPU cooler only to find out the problem is something else since the refund/return policy where I am is non-existent. Any help is appreciated. If any other information is required, I will try my best to provide it. Thanks for reading.

Edited by CtrlAltDel
Additional question

First if you haven't already, I would disable all your overclocks for the time being. I know many motherboards will also auto overclock when enabling XMP. At least my 4770K did on all the motherboards I used. It has been a number of years since I played around with it, but I still have it laying around. It was a good CPU.

In any case, assuming you already checked for a high overclock / voltage that would account for 100c at idle. My next guess is if all the cores are reporting 100c, I would have to assume it is the AIO. My 100i only lasted 2 years before I RMAed it. Those old models didn't last long and its very common to find similar threads to exactly the same problem you are having. Either the pump would fail or the liquid would get so low it started to make that bubbling sound.

For mine, it first started to bubble and after poking around / troubleshooting, the fans locked up at 100% RPM and I lost all control over anything in the corsair software.  That was the last time I used a Corsair AIO, I sold my RMA one. Corsair and all AIOs on the market are much better now.

80c on the coolant seems really high to me, It should only be a few degrees above room ambient.

Lastly I wouldn't rule out a faulty sensor, but if it downclocking due to Tj.Max, not much you can do besides override it in the BIOS. Which I strongly advise against. If one core is saying 100c and the rest is 70~, that would point to a faulty sensor. However not for all of them being at 100.

After six years there would be little to no coolant left.  On my custom loop the reservoir would be empty.

I think there fooling themselves these AIO manufacturers by not putting a fill fitting in the loop.

When the coolant is low the system will gurgle, and temps will increase.

It's not a pump fan, but a radiator fan and a pump.

14 hours ago, sticknstone said:

After six years there would be little to no coolant left.  On my custom loop the reservoir would be empty.

I think there fooling themselves these AIO manufacturers by not putting a fill fitting in the loop.

When the coolant is low the system will gurgle, and temps will increase.

If I'm forced to buy a new cooling unit, that's fine. I just want to make sure the cooler (and nothing else) is the issue. But you're right: throwing away a whole AIO unit every few years seems incredibly wasteful.

14 hours ago, sticknstone said:

It's not a pump fan, but a radiator fan and a pump.

So noted.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:25 AM, ir_cow said:

First if you haven't already, I would disable all your overclocks for the time being. I know many motherboards will also auto overclock when enabling XMP. At least my 4770K did on all the motherboards I used. It has been a number of years since I played around with it, but I still have it laying around. It was a good CPU.

No overclocking done. Or at least not intentionally: this is the first time I've heard about the XMP thing (will check on that). And you're right, it really is a good processor :)

Lastly I wouldn't rule out a faulty sensor, but if it downclocking due to Tj.Max, not much you can do besides override it in the BIOS. Which I strongly advise against. If one core is saying 100c and the rest is 70~, that would point to a faulty sensor. However not for all of them being at 100.

That's an excellent point, ir_cow. At least that's some relief: a faulty cooling unit is one thing, a faulty CPU with an obsolete socket is quite another.

In any case, assuming you already checked for a high overclock / voltage that would account for 100c at idle. My next guess is if all the cores are reporting 100c, I would have to assume it is the AIO. My 100i only lasted 2 years before I RMAed it. Those old models didn't last long and its very common to find similar threads to exactly the same problem you are having. Either the pump would fail or the liquid would get so low it started to make that bubbling sound.

For mine, it first started to bubble and after poking around / troubleshooting, the fans locked up at 100% RPM and I lost all control over anything in the corsair software.  That was the last time I used a Corsair AIO, I sold my RMA one. Corsair and all AIOs on the market are much better now.

80c on the coolant seems really high to me, It should only be a few degrees above room ambient.

This sounds a lot like my problem and probably seals the deal: I have to get a new cooler. Which is okay, I just wanted to be sure. Maybe I'll go for an air cooler this time, since as mentioned above, throwing away a whole AIO unit every few years seems really wasteful.

Okay, so I'll leave this post open for a few days in case anybody else has any ideas. In the meantime I think I will make another post asking which cooler would be best for my space-limited setup. If you two have any opinions on that, they would be very welcome.

Once again, ir_cow & sticknstone, thanks for the input.

Lots of the new AIOs have a fill port now. Other than ID-Cooling I cant think of any off the top of my head because I rarely use them. Either open-loop or aircooling for my hardware.

The ID-Cooling I have for the Ryzen test system is because Red454 (Chris - OCC reviewer) gave it to me. He actually has a lot of cooler videos on OCC YouTube channel. Worth a watch since your in the market.

There is info in the web about modding an AIO cooler, so adding a fill port on the 100i should be possible.

ir_cow & sticknstone: Thanks for the recommendations but I don't want to mess with fill ports at this stage (esp. modded ones). Maybe on my next build, when I have more experience :) . I will update here when I finalize which new cooler to get and have installed it (most likely Sunday).

FYI
The only other way to fill the cooler loop would be to remove the screws holding the copper heatsink plate on the bottom of the pump.  Under the plate is a black o-ring seal where everything inside of it has the coolant contained.  There are two openings and using one to fill the loop with coolant and the other to let the air escape would be the method to fill the loop.  The pump would need to be lifted higher than the rad when filling.  The coolant will exit the opening the air is escaping from when full.

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition.

Installed and working great!

The-Revival-2.jpg

The-Revival-3.jpg

Marking this thread solved, repping and closing (if possible and allowed).

Thank you all for reading and esp. ir_cow and sticknstone for your help.

Glad you found a solution! I love the CM Hyper 212. 

I see your still rocking GTX 780 SLI. You may be disappointed to find SLI support is removed and not coming back on the new cards :/

On 7/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, ir_cow said:

I see your still rocking GTX 780 SLI. You may be disappointed to find SLI support is removed and not coming back on the new cards :/

Unfortunately :( . I can only hope the manufacturers change their minds soon. 

Nope. The key person behind SLI retired. Shortly after SLI support started to drop to what it is now.

NVLink for Quadros is not used in the same way. The RTX 3090 only has a connector because it was geared towards pro-consumers and not gamers. Still it will go unused for those as well.

SLI as we knew it is dead. The next step for nvidia will be to do muti-die GPU Chiplet design that AMD is doing as well.