Sign in to follow this  
PristoMiky

Do I need a better motherboard?

Hi everyone,

I've a AMD Ryzen 3900 (Non-X) with a Asus TUF B450 Gaming. In general everythings work perfect, but when I want to do some OC I'm very limited. I read different users that they put 4.2Ghz easy and in my case I can't go to 4.1Ghz.

On the other hand, I've usually Auto OC with PBO and the cores go to 4.35Ghz more or less (but not all togethers).

My question is, do you think I need a better motherboard (I'm thinking in a X470 with better VRM) or do you think that is the sillicon lottery??

Regardless if its a X or not, you are going to run into a hard wall around 4.4Ghz - All core. Top 1% can do this and it requires 1.4v. 4.3Ghz is around 1.3-1.35v. 

I couldn't find the actual VRM part number but it is a 4+2 design. Since its a lower end MB I would say 50 Amp stages. @1.35v It can handle upwards of 275 Watts. However that 100% load on the VRM. You would need some serious cooling on those MOSFETs. Realistically 75% is about the highest you want to go for normal use Which is closer to 200 watts output for the CPU.

So in short, a nice motherboard with a beefier VRM setup would help, but you will still be limited to 4.3-4.4Ghz - All Core regardless of how much voltage you pump into it. Add in the fact you will need a good cooling setup, it is just not worth it

Posted (edited)

A good motherboard is as important as a good PSU, it is a component that can protect the rest of the more expensive components. A good motherboard will also have a easy to navigate BIOS, features for overclock, durability, heat endurance, and long-lasting.

walgreenslistens

Edited by Grigsby28