VGA card prices

dling

MAN!!!!! Was just looking at the available of  3K series of vga cards. Seems their all sold . So I looked at the available of the card I paid 799.00 for at release . The 2080ti. Mine is the nvidia FE. These cards are now retailing for over 2k each if I saw right.  If that's the case. What the he11 is going on ? Did I see the prices correctly?

Yep those prices are real, but from scalpers since none of the RTX 20 series is in production anymore.

Basically from what I can make out is multiple factors. Covid lockdown saw a increase in gou sales due to people staying at home / working remotely.  Also because production stopped in china for a few months it finally caught up with world demand after the initial backstock ran out.

Now these new generation from AMD and Nvidia has a chip shortage due to the chip making facilities at max capacity for the next 2 years.

Also in the US, Trumps China import tax kicked in Jan 2021 adding 20-30% price hike as these companies arent going to eat the cost like Trump thought, instead it was passed onto the customer as most people assumed would happened.

Essentially demand exceeded supply and now scalpers are taking advantages of this. Add some import tax and that's why a $800 RTX 3080 is selling for $1500+

This will continue for another few years I think. Time to switch back to console gaming.

16 hours ago, dling said:

Or start for the  first time.

I got both, but for a while in 2006-2012 I was exclusively console player. It just make sense to me. Its cheaper, hassle free to play games (no driver issues) and you can sell the games when your done with them. It's practically free gaming if you do it right.

However the downside is your are playing at medium graphical settings and usually at 30fps. Very few console games are native 4K. 99% are upscaled from 2K or lower for the PS5 / Xbox Series X. Last gen things were upscaled to 1080P. Add in the fact that some games are not just available on the console like Counter-Strike or really any "good" MOBA. I prefer to play with controller on the PC anyways, so unless Its a game I either want to enjoy with the highest graphical settings or one that isn't on the console, I'll always pick console first.

So to me paying $1200 for a video card or buying a console and getting 3 years worth a games is a easy choice. Don't buy games new and you'll have 100+ for $5-10 a piece.

You know i hadn't been keeping up with components  pricing lately and specifically video cards but after checking this thread i went to look at prices of Geforce 3000 series and Radeon 6000 series at Newegg and WOW !! That's crazy... It'll be a while before I modernize this machine... this price increase must have something to do with the global chip shortage and supply and demand curve... right now my computer is pretty good but in a year or so I'll be about due for some changes and hopefully things will settle down and normalize a bit...

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 8:38 AM, cjloki said:

You know i hadn't been keeping up with components  pricing lately and specifically video cards but after checking this thread i went to look at prices of Geforce 3000 series and Radeon 6000 series at Newegg and WOW !! That's crazy... It'll be a while before I modernize this machine... this price increase must have something to do with the global chip shortage and supply and demand curve... right now my computer is pretty good but in a year or so I'll be about due for some changes and hopefully things will settle down and normalize a bit...

I'm in the same boat. Willing to wait due to the fact that my current pc is fine for now. Hope next year bares cheaper fruits. 

Well Ethrium coin is going to Proof of Stake this fall so that's the end of GPU mining for that. 

Still tons of alt coins around, but not nearly as popular. Even with the demand drop, I think it wont be until this time next year we will see prices "return" to nornal.

Now AMD and NVIDIA see consumers accept paying higher prices I think the next round will be 25% higher MSRP.

Just my thoughts based on the current market and the fact that TSMC is booked for the next 5 years.