Posted (edited)

Greetings to the Forum. I used to be quite active on here a few years ago but I have been out of the loop for quite some time. My trusty home built PC is well past its prime and time to throw some money at it for an upgrade. Its mainly used for simulation games like Dirt Rally, Formula One and I have just upgraded my Flight Sim to MS2020. I'm on Win 10 now so looking for recommendations on a new MOB, RAM, CPU and GPU. I have enough SSD storage. The new MS2020 in 4K is very demanding especially big active airport scenery so looking for a capable GPU without going mad. Only interested in Intel and Nvidia stuff, preferably Corsair RAM and Asus MOB but open to suggestions. I have one of the very first Dell 32 in 4K monitors that needs replacing so recommendations on a new 32 in monitor are welcome. There is no budget.

I'd rather not Overclock, just need to buy the right stuff to do the job with a bit of headroom.

Thanks. Buster.

Current PC Specs.

Asus Z87 Pro. i7 4770K (Stock) 8GB DDR3 Dominator RAM @ 1866 mhz. EVGA GTX 980ti SC. 120 GB Corsair SSD. Samsung Evo 1TB SSD. Corsair HX750i PSU. True 120 CPU Cooler. Dell UP3214Q 32in 4K Monitor. 7.1 Surround. Serving Wench & Lap dancing facilities.

Edited by Busterbvi

Whats your buget without the GPU and how long are planning on using it before upgrading again?

If you arent aware the a GPU market is 2x - 5x the price of MSRP. You can get lucky and snag something when its in stock before the bots get it, but it will take a week or so of watching.

23 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Whats your buget without the GPU and how long are planning on using it before upgrading again?

If you arent aware the a GPU market is 2x - 5x the price of MSRP. You can get lucky and snag something when its in stock before the bots get it, but it will take a week or so of watching.

No budget really, just want to buy the right components to do the job without struggling with a bit of headroom  and good for the next few years at least.

Well here is my recommendations if you were to buy today. It is really just a version of my test systems I use. What I picked is for no fuss and little to no overclocking. I have mine overclocked and memory optimized, but this is still a good starting point and more or less the best bang for your money without having to play around with memory settings and CPU overclocking. If you want a overclocking system, I got a slightly different parts list.

I am a fan of G.Skill for their overclocking potential and MUCH better timings (especially for AMD Ryzen), but Corsair makes much better lighting software. I also picked 32GB of memory for future proofing. The memory costs more but I think if your going to use this system for 5+ years, 32GB is necessary unless you buy some at a later date.

F1 and Drit are CPU/GPU intense in their own right, but nothing like Flight Sim. I'm what i've read, on 4K ultra settings it eats up 10GB of VRAM. Though it will scale to how much you have, just might be a lot more blurry ground area while it loads in. Second thing it seems the CPU core count is less important at 4K because your GPU is struggling to keep a steady 30FPS. Which makes the game 100% GPU bound at higher resolutions. You will probably want a RTX 3080 or RTX 3070 for DLSS support in other games as well as 35-40 FPS in Flight Sim 2020.

A quick note; Intel is slated to release its new LGA 1700 socket with DDR5 in Q4 2021, while AMD is sometime in 2022 for it's new socket/CPU.  Also PCIE 4.0 has no really impact gaming performance. Nothing even eats up the bandwidth of 16x PCIE 3.0 right now. Not even close. So I don't see a reason to buy Intel's 11th Gen just for PCIE 4.0 support. Its overpriced and sucks compared to the 9th and 10th gen counter-parts. The real improvement that both systems have with a BIOS update is Re-Size Bar support.  

AMD:

1. AMD 7 5800X
  2. ASUS X570 HERO (This ones missing the Wi-Fi)
  3. G.Skill 3600 32GB TridentZ NEO CL16 or CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 36000 CL18 32GB

For AMD you can swap it with any memory running at 3600 CL14 for best results. It can be a 10 FPS swing from CL18 to CL14 in some games. 3800 CL14 is the absolute best for Ryzen, but you will most likely not be able to boot to this without SoC voltage tweak. Above 3800 you break the Infinity Fabric 1:1 ratio and are hit with 20ns+ delay making it slower than 3000 CL18 memory.

Intel:

1. i9 10850K
  2. MSI Z490 Unify (best MB for 10850/10900K overclocking for the money. No nonsense marketing BS.) ACE model is the same but with RGB lighting.
  3. G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 4000 CL17 or ???? (Some 16GB Corsair kit??)

4000 CL15 is the most optimal settings for Intel in the cost / performance ratio. You can go up, but the memory controller voltage needs to as well. At 4000 you shouldn't have to touch the default 1.1v. Above 4400 its all manual timing setting. Most likely it will not boot with XMP without BIOS voltage tweaking. I had some luck with the MSI "Memory Try It" presents. Able to run DDR4 5000, but it took 1.6v on the memory controller, not good for daily use!