Sign in to follow this  
JimHanus

Time to upgrade my I7-2600K and motherboard

I would imagine most of you here are bleeding-edge types. I'm not. I'm the behind-the-curve type (wait for the new stuff to come out and save big on the old stuff). I'm currently using an I7-2600K overclocked to 4.2Ghz on a MSI Z77A-G45 with 32GB RAM. It works fine, I don't do any gaming (seriously) just web/graphics/video, but want to move up socket-wise to be a little more current. What would be the logical Intel step up after the 1155 socket? Are the related chipsets worth the move up or would I need to make a big jump cost-wise to see any advantages? Any info is appreciated.

When upgrading from the 2nd gen intel its going to be a major difference in encoding time for video. Heck the 11th gen i3 is 4core 8 thread with a higher clock. Just switching to that would be faster. Depends on what you are doing but I don't think you can expect a 4K 10min encode to finish under 2 hours with your current CPU. Of course you can use the GPU now to offload the encoding in Adobe Premiere CC21 and Divinci Resolve 16/17. With either a dedicated video card or onboard intel graphics (with lighting shrink for Intel). But you will still run into issues where CPU encoding is necessary.

If your not into overclocking or buying new stuff you could go get a Threadripper 1950x with a motherboard for $300-400 on ebay. Maybe grab a X299 Intel motherboard and buy a 18 core xeon. All cheap options that aren't good for gaming but a major step up for video work.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:37 PM, ir_cow said:

When upgrading from the 2nd gen intel its going to be a major difference in encoding time for video. Heck the 11th gen i3 is 4core 8 thread with a higher clock. Just switching to that would be faster. Depends on what you are doing but I don't think you can expect a 4K 10min encode to finish under 2 hours with your current CPU. Of course you can use the GPU now to offload the encoding in Adobe Premiere CC21 and Divinci Resolve 16/17. With either a dedicated video card or onboard intel graphics (with lighting shrink for Intel). But you will still run into issues where CPU encoding is necessary.

If your not into overclocking or buying new stuff you could go get a Threadripper 1950x with a motherboard for $300-400 on ebay. Maybe grab a X299 Intel motherboard and buy a 18 core xeon. All cheap options that aren't good for gaming but a major step up for video work.

OK thanks. I may try that path. I also have an I5-3570K. Would that be a better option for what I am currently doing?

Well I was wrong about the X299 / Xeon combo. Intel dropped support for Xeon with the X299 chipset so you will need a server MB for that. The other option is to get a X99 with a 12-16 core Xeon. For about $200 total. But I think that isn't a great option because those older 2011 V3 Xeon are old and below 3Ghz.  I still think a 1920X Threadripper is a good starting point strickly for video work. You can always spends more money and get more cores. IDK your budget.

As far as the 3570K goes, I think that 2600K is faster because its 4core and the i5 is 2core. I don't know what kinda of video work you do or want to do. Hard to recommend hardware for editing and rendering without knowing specifically what you are trying to achieve.