Sign in to follow this  
Capo

2021 Build vs Buy

Hi Gang,

Long time member here who has always enjoyed building my own rigs. However, life is a lot busier these days so any free-time is more limited. That being said, what is the build vs buy analysis looking like in 2021? How much of a premium can you expect to pay buying a premade tower gaming rig vs just building one yourself? I'm tempted if that delta is somewhat reasonable, simply to save time.

Lastly - who would you suggest for a good gaming rig? I would prefer someone who doesn't use junk components or puts you in a position where you can never upgrade RAM, HD, Video Card, etc.... as that I do tend to keep my machines for many years.

Thanks for any help!

Its generally a 30-50% markup for mid-range. Ultra high end is 200%+. Once in a while I would compare what it could cost for a pre-built equivalent. What cost ms $1500 in parts is usually $2500-3500 for the pre-built.

However now that GPU market is extremely outrageous, it actually might be cheaper to buy a pre-built, though I've seen complaints that Dell/Alienware will take your money for 2 months and than cancel the order for a RTX 3080 system or offer you a lower card that is in stock.

As far as upgradability goes, thats a hard one. I would just watch those undercover buys on YouTube for Linus. See which one screws you the least.

Thanks for that! 

Wow, is the delta really that high now? I'll have to take a look and see what I can find. I'm also a bit dated on the latest benchmarks - any suggestions for a solid gaming rig for 4k gaming? I usually buy in the "high mid-end" to "low high-end" range as that I do keep my machines for many years. 

I'd appreciate a good baseline of parts to compare to a premade, if possible.

Thanks!