sticknstone

Are you overclocking?

"Like past Intel turbo technologies, Intel Adaptive Boost Technology will be within spec operation and is not considered overclocking".

Citation: Intel Adaptive Boost Technology slide.

Ouch.  I am shattered to pieces.

This sounds like Intel just renamed Turbo to better fit into todays naming scheme. Trade the word Turbo for Boost. Same thing in the end. But really It doesn't effect any overclockers because we just leave it at max clocks anyways.

It's a bit different from prior versions of Turbo as it is more opportunistic, at least that is my understanding from the Anandtech write-up on it. So long as the various budgets (power, thermal, etc.) can allow any core to run faster, ABT will allow that to happen, much like AMD's Precision Boost 2. Based on that article, the previous Turbo technologies would only boost certain cores and by certain amounts while this is more variable, but as I have such limited experience with Intel CPUs (only an i5 4400U in my laptop), I can only go by what I have read.

The difference with this Adaptive Boost Technology is the maximum frequency is increased and the thermal limit is brought back up to 100C at those high frequencies from the lower thermal limit of 70C that Thermal Velocity Boost had.  Which makes Thermal Velocity Boost irrelevant except for one or two core operations where ABT is not enabled.  ABT is used in three or more core operations.  I wonder if any TVB processing occurs and then ABT processing next. This an example of too much technology.