Power Supply or Motherboard?

I'm out of ideas... I just upgraded my Motherboard, CPU and RAM and the damn PC won't boot when I click the button half the time. I have to unplug the power supply, and plug it back in and flip the switch on it a few times. This power supply has been flawless since I got it new appx 3 years ago, so I keep leaning back to the motherboard. Oddly enough, once it's running, there are ZERO issues. If I RESTART, it works fine. It only does this from a full OFF and a cold start

I WAS running a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7, i7 6700 and 16gb of Corsair memory on the 750w Corsair power supply which is 8 pins for the ATX power

NOW....

The new Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX, i7 10700K CPU and 32gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2933. Also the new motherboard is a 8 pin + another 4 pin ATX power, but I was told that the 8 pin was enough and I didn't need the other 4 pin unless I was overclocking. Could this be the issue? I NEED that 4 pin after all?

Well I can tell you for certain that you don't need that second EPS cable (4pin) with that 10700K. It is on the same power plane as EPS-8Pin. The only reason would be if you need over 350 watts for the CPU. Even though the connector / cable could handle this, it would get warm after a bit pulling that much amps, so my rule of thumb is 250watts per 8-Pin EPS to avoid any melty wires.

What I'm stuck on for this diagnosis is that once you get it to power up, it stays going. Only when the power is full cut will it do this non-booting. So I guess my follow up question would be does the motherboard turn on briefly from a cold start and power off, or noting at all until you press the power button a few times?

Nothing at all even when I press the power button several times. If I unplug the power cord from the power supply and plug it back in, I'll get a very brief flash on the motherboard that something happened. I'm putting in a different power supply right now just to rule that out. I didn't want to have to open this but I just did. If it's not the issue, hopefully I can take it back and save $150

New Seasonic Focus GX850 now installed... 5 successful bootups in a row without having to mess with any cords. I'd say the power supply was the issue OR This Mobo actually did need the 8 pin and the 4 pin connected. I'm stumped. 

Now... the Corsair RM750X I have has a 7 year warranty on it, so I wonder if they'll honor it?

And thanks for the input IR.....

Side question... All the fans in my case are now running a LOT slower and quieter since the new Mobo, CPU and Memory. Was the previous motherboard pushing them harder or the 6700 run warmer than this new 10700K?

Edited by Rokkaholik

The mobo manual on page 16 explains what I have been trying to figure out, that the mobo will not let the CPU boot the system without the 12v cables connected.  It is definitely a fire safety feature.

The new system has an advanced power plan.

4 hours ago, sticknstone said:

The mobo manual on page 16 explains what I have been trying to figure out, that the mobo will not let the CPU boot the system without the 12v cables connected.  It is definitely a fire safety feature.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I read the manual...... I actually didn't even notice the extra 4pin connector until I was reassembling the PC. I stopped what I was doing and went up to MicroCenter. Two Salespeople there told me that I didn't need it. Apparently it has been a common question. Now I wonder how many people have found out differently.

Mine boots every time now with the new Seasonic 850W

5 hours ago, sticknstone said:

Sounds extremely unlikely. I have NEVER needed the second EPS to power the board. I have 3 computers right now running without the 4pin pluggged. The only one I use a second EPS for is MSI Z490 Unify because the 10900K usage 333 watts under maximum load. It does work with a single 8pin, I just don't like the idea of so many amps on a single cable. . Its on the same power plane and I believe the 4pin EPS has no sense pin so the MB can't even see if its plugged in.

Rokkahoik, unplug that 4pin and see if it boots. I bet it will.

The corsair power supply has an issue.  Some how it doesn't deliver enough power, like an old battery in a car during a winter storm.

I agree with the need for only the 2x4 12v connector for the 10700k.  The 12v connector NEEDS to be attached or the CPU will not work.

It is reasonably sound to conclude that these newer systems use power more efficiently.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, ir_cow said:

Sounds extremely unlikely. I have NEVER needed the second EPS to power the board. I have 3 computers right now running without the 4pin pluggged. The only one I use a second EPS for is MSI Z490 Unify because the 10900K usage 333 watts under maximum load. It does work with a single 8pin, I just don't like the idea of so many amps on a single cable. . Its on the same power plane and I believe the 4pin EPS has no sense pin so the MB can't even see if its plugged in.

Rokkahoik, unplug that 4pin and see if it boots. I bet it will.

Sorry for the late response... I unplugged the 4-pin and the PC booted just fine every time, three times in a row. Since I do have a new PSU that has the plug, I will use it, but it's good to know that it was indeed my older Corsair power supply. I contacted them and started a ticket. This is the first issue I've ever had with anything Corsair. I would still buy. Hopefully their warranty/repair department comes through

14 hours ago, sticknstone said:

The corsair power supply has an issue.  Some how it doesn't deliver enough power, like an old battery in a car during a winter storm.

I agree with the need for only the 2x4 12v connector for the 10700k.  The 12v connector NEEDS to be attached or the CPU will not work.

It is reasonably sound to conclude that these newer systems use power more efficiently.

I just thought it was VERY coincidental that it started having issues when I replaced the motherboard, CPU and memory. It was flawless before that. I was actually leaning towards the motherboard for a while. I pulled it and checked for a bent pin somewhere, etc... 

Thanks for everyone's input

Corsair has a good RMA. I once submitted a ticket without* a receipt. Got it replaced anyways. After receiving the new unit, I got another email saying don't forget the receipt next time.