Sign in to follow this  
kojack

Repasting my dell notebook with kryonaut?

Backstory,  I was editing a video on my dell 6358 2 in 1.  It was about a 3 min long 1080 when I completed it.  Most of the time, the fans were louder than they have ever been while I was working on the project.  This was one of the main reasons I bought my new desktop.  The other, is if I wanted to do any 4k editing it would not even do it.   I am wondering, where we are on the road working alot and I want to create a video to put up for our blog, or some other client, would repasting with Kryonaut help out the temps on my system?  Maybe take a bit of stress off the machine.

I have been talking to a couple of people I know,  they said that kryonaut is not the best paste to use.  MX4 lasts longer at the cost of a degree or two higher temps.  It still works great compared to stock.  I am going to order a tube of MX4 and repaste both my notebooks, and desktop once I get the new cooler.  I think it will make a difference on both notebooks and desktop.  I will report back after I get them all done and test out my notebook again with another HD video rip!

Having used many many different pastes over the years I like kryonaut the best. Lowest temps I've seen for sure. MX4 is fine as well. I'm not sure about either of them lasting longer just from normal use. Tons of different types. Some stay wet and messy forever, others will harden up after being heated.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:44 PM, ir_cow said:

Having used many many different pastes over the years I like kryonaut the best. Lowest temps I've seen for sure. MX4 is fine as well. I'm not sure about either of them lasting longer just from normal use. Tons of different types. Some stay wet and messy forever, others will harden up after being heated.

I was being told that because my CPU in my laptop reaches high temps because of little cooling availability that Kryonaut would work great for a week or two, and then "dry out" and lose it's efficiency, where as MX4 would be more stable.  I don't know because the last paste I used was AS-1 in 2003