Sign in to follow this  
kojack

Dell 8940 XPS with TINY CPU cooler? Looking for a replacement

I won't be changing cases, nor leaving the side off.  I am just trying to lower the noise of the stock fans and lower temps a bit. The noctua fans will suffice no problem for what I am looking to do. 

In the event I wasn't happy with my new PC I just purchased I would see if the store policy allowed a return.

Going up to the CPU temperature limit and staying there is not how a CPU should run, but going up to the temperature limit for a few seconds is OK.

I am not unhappy with my machine,  It's the CPU cooler is LOUD when being worked.  that's all.   The fan is a tiny fan on a small cooler.  Once changed to an acceptable cooler, it will be quiet.  It's not a big deal.  Anyways,  I was asking about coolers not about returning or changing my cases. 

I have no experience with the Dell 8940 XPS, but I have general PC experience.  Basically the cooler upgrade is going to be having a greater fin surface area, and then equal or greater number of heat pipes.  The aftermarket CPU cooler shouldn't have the 3000-3500 rpm turbo fan on the cooler.  What is the CPU, it's socket, and the available width in the case?  The whole width reads 6.65" 169mm.

17 hours ago, sticknstone said:

I have no experience with the Dell 8940 XPS, but I have general PC experience.  Basically the cooler upgrade is going to be having a greater fin surface area, and then equal or greater number of heat pipes.  The aftermarket CPU cooler shouldn't have the 3000-3500 rpm turbo fan on the cooler.  What is the CPU, it's socket, and the available width in the case?  The whole width reads 6.65" 169mm.

It's the i7 10700.  The Noctua actually bolts to the dell's chasis like the stock cooler.  If you do some googlefu, you can see the K series has a nice heatpipe cooler that would suffice, but with the i7 non k verison I get this little crappy cooler.  The noctua is only 15 dollars more expensive than the dell heatpipe cooler and will do a better job.  

NH-U9S is the cpu cooler solution I chose.  It can handle the turbo boost power limit 224W, with 16W to spare.  It will provide the lowest temps compared to NH-D9L and NH-L9-65 respectively.  It will be the quietest because of it's ability to handle the heat load.  U9S and D9L are very close.  Turbo boost is short bursts, but over significant time it will heat up the cooler.

I will see what I can come up with.  I am going to try to get dell to supply me with their heatpipe cooler for no charge since I thought it came with my system with 500w PSU.  See what happens,  if not Noctua all the way.

Dell C/S is about as helpful as a piece of wet toilet paper.  They claim there is only one cooler for the machine.  Noctua it is.  I will be ordering it next week along with 2 fans for the case and PSU.

This solution is based on the assumption that the stock case fan is 92mm.
I found the service manual and formed a case cooling solution.  I would leave the stock case fan and add a PCI slot fan.  This will relieve the stock fan of the full cooling load, and result in the fan being quiet.  This reduction in fan speed should happen based on case temperature as set in the cooling profile.  The chosen PCI slot fan is the Fox - 1.  It is designed to maximize performance.  The best slot is the top slot.  It is molex powered and needs SATA adapters.
Changing the PSU fan is going to present a challenge as the connector pin spacing is different from standard case connectors.  It must be loud to consider changing it.  When the PC has been off for several hours, power it on and listen to the PSU fan.  That is the loudness at all times when the PSU fan has only two wires.
In the event the stock case fan is still loud, the best option is to also upgrade it to a larger size Noctua fan NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM.

The change of the PSU fan is to move more are with the same DB.  Noctua small fans are quiet and very efficient.  Therefore, changing out that fan with a noctua will cool the psu better and keep it quiet.  They have fans with the same pin configuration for the dell 500w psu.