Sign in to follow this  
kojack

Dell 8940 XPS with TINY CPU cooler? Looking for a replacement

I have ordered a new XPS 8940 desktop for my business, and I ordered it without the "k" version of the CPU.  I have read that I am going to get the little chintzy cpu cooler.  A pancake style with a little fan on top.  Pretty well this thing goes to 100deg on the drop of a dime.  I am looking for a good, inexpensive compact air cooler for my cpu.  Any suggestions?

looking at some pictures, the case as a single 80mm fan for exhaust. You will want to replace that as well.

I found this thread of someone replacing the stock cooler. No matter the aftermarket cool you pick, you will have to remove the motherboard to install it.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8940-Better-cooler/td-p/7690322/page/5

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8940-Better-cooler/m-p/7694684

The system fan is a 4500rpm fan, that will give great cooling.  It is a turbo fan.

Try looking for the PC cooling profile and increase it.  Better yet put it on maximum and see how cool the PC runs and the performance improvement.

Posted (edited)

I would rather upgrade the CPU cooler and fan to a low noise unit where I get much better cooling and decreasing noise as well.  The case fan is a 92mm as far as I know,  not an 80mm.

Edited by kojack

I am going to buy a dell heat pipe cooler for it.  I just found out you can buy them for cheap.  It's almost as good as the expensive coolers, compared to the pancake that's on it now. 

I have decided to go with the Noctua.  is the case fan in this machine a 92 or 120mm?  I am going to replace that one too.  I don't think there is a front fan in it. 

The internet tells me its a 80mm fan. But you have the computer in hand. Just measure it lol.

Posted (edited)

I will pull the side off and see.   What sucks is that I found 2 brand new 120mm arctic cooling pwm fans in my shop I forgot I had.  They look great.  I guess I will sell both of those and buy the new noctua case can and PSU fan.  Quiet is good!

Edited by kojack

Cool temperatures are directly affected by CFM or CMH ie the airflow.
The computer stock design is silent.
More performance from the PC will be achieved with lower temperatures, ie throttle at a higher frequency.
Compare the specs of the fans to be replaced and make a decision leaning towards high or higher airflow so that the upgrade is for performance.
To change the case and PSU fan is a good move toward ensuring the maximum airflow.

A least expensive solution could be to configure the case as an open air case by keeping the side panel off.  All that is required is a change of the stock CPU cooler because the case fans are no longer needed to cool the case ie exhaust warm air the CPU and GPU use.
The existing case fan would be better utilized rotated 180 degree to blow air over the motherboard, as long as it does not blow against the upgraded CPU cooler fan.