JHine5588

G.skill DDR3 overclocking- please help!

Hello,

Long story short my G.skill value ram (f3-12800cl9s-2gbnt) will not run on ANYTHING over 1192mhz. They are BCSE IC's if that makes much difference.

System:

Asus P5E3-WS-Pro

Q9550 @ 3.8ghz (447 X 8.5)

8gb G.skill RAM (4X2gb sticks)

The ONLY setting that the RAM will post on is in the screen shots. I can't go up in speed, I can't go down in speed. Changing the DRAM Voltage makes no difference either. I can't loosen timings to get it to post... Literally nothing is allowing it to post other than 1192mhz.

This is a gaming PC for my nephew to cut his teeth on in the PC world. I'd like to squeeze a little more out of it by bumping the RAM to 1333 at least but I have been unsuccessful, so I'm asking for help!

Thanks

Jeremy

CPU.jpg

SPEED.jpg

MEMORY.jpg

I think your problem might be that you have 4 DIMMs. While it usually isnt a issue at lower speeds, having a second set will inherently lower the highest frequency achievable. Not to mention those are sold as 2x4 kit so its possible the other two from the second set are actually completely different ICs which will also cause problems.

That's all I can think of. Can't say if that usually is the issue but I would start by removing the second set and seeing you if you can achieve a higher frequency.

Yeah, That's the info I found as well (4gb kits) but all 4 of these are consecutive serial numbers *50 *51 *52 *53

I have heard about the differences with 2 versus 4 or more channels but I didn't think it would limit a stock 1333mhz 1600mhz capable kit to being 10% less than it's rated speed. 10% less than it's max would make more sense to me. 

Jeremy

Okay,

Since you say thr serial numbers are in order either its 2 kits bought at the same time or more likely actually a quad kit. I was just going by the SKU you listed which only pulls up 2 DIMM kit on google.

4 DIMMs on a dual channel system can have this effect. Depends on the motherboard and CPU. But first I would remove 2 of them and see if you can achieve DDR3 1600. If so there is your answer. If not well it time to dig into the CPU FSB settings and such. Bump some voltages, etc.