Sign in to follow this  
xidurule

Which is more harmful: High Vcore or High Temps?

Hi All,

I just put my first pc together and want to overclock my 10900KF cpu. Right now the MSI 'Game Boost' + XMP is giving me an almost constant 5.3 ghz/per core (some cores shoot up to 5.5 occasionally) @ 1.41 volts when running Cinebench 20. My temps hover around 75-80 degrees during the Cinebench run. I'm using a program called HWINFO64 to monitor voltages, temps, clock speeds per core.
I want to manually overclock the cpu, but hopefully get close to the performance I'm getting from the MSI 'Game Boost'. I've heard a lot of people say that voltages above 1.4 are bad for the cpu. They don't really explain why, so I'm wondering if it's because 1.4 volts tends to make the temperatures run too hot. Or is 1.4 volts bad even with <80degree max temperature?

In short, if I can run 4 hours or so of prime95 at 5.3ghz @ 1.41 volts without it crashing/glitching and the temps stay below 80 degrees (I've heard that's the max temp before it's unsafe for the cpu), am I good? Or is 1.41 volts bad, regardless of how many hours of stress testing with <80 temps and no crashing?

Here's my pc parts if it helps:
10900KF
MSI MEG Unify z490
Kraken z73
32gb Corsair Vengeance 3200 ram

Thanks in advance for your help : )

Interesting...

have to assume this is not all-core OC or matching AVX offset or Prime95 would not be this low without some serious cooling / delid with liquid mental.

I say this becuase I'm stuck at 5.1Ghz @1.275v and it draws 330 watts in Prime95. Needless to say, It hits 95c all-core in prime95 with a 480 radiator on a open-loop. Though I haven't delid mine yet for lower temps.

1.4v is on the higher side, but fine if you keep the CPU cool enough and not hitting 100c. I haven't heard this 80c max temp before either. That 360mm kraken z73 is nice, but isn't able to cooler over 240 watts, like most AIOs.

Either way, congrats on the temps for all-core OC, though I suspect its like 2-4 core overclock instead of all 10.