Sign in to follow this  
dutugudi

5600X Ram Overclocking problem.

Hey guys, OC noob here. I just upgraded my 2700X to 5600X, and I can't really OC my memory. When I was using 2700X, I was able to OC my memory to 3200 CL 18. However, after upgrading to 5600X, I can't even OC my exact same memory to same speed and latency. It failed boot, couldn't even get to BIOS, so I had to reset it..
Any thoughts or advices about this situation?

-Since I am noob in OC, I only used MSI's Memory Try it! feature from Bios.

MSI MPG X570 Gaming WiFi (Updated Bios)
Ryzen 5 5600X
Zotac RTX 3080 HOLO BLACK
G.Skill Trident Z 2133 CL 15

That is really bizarre that the same memory is no longer stable at such low frequencies. You should be able to go up to 3600 without even touching the SoC voltage to keep that 1600 Mhz FCLK to match the memory frequency. So it is unlikely that it is a problem with the CPU.

I've run into problems where after I update the BIOS, all my saved profiles no longer work. Have you tried to reset the motherboard BIOS to defaults and start over? You can do this in the BIOS or just reset the CMOS. Might be worth a shot.

But here you say that the memory is OC to 3200, so what is the stock XMP profile, the 2133? you listed? If that is the case, you might just need to raise the memory voltage to 1.35v as the default 1.2v might not be enough to reach that frequency stable. Maybe it was set on Auto voltage before and it now has changed back to defaults with the new BIOS update for this 5600X CPU.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that memory is Hynix A-Die in which case 3200 CL16 might be the upper limit of those ICs without doing some major tweaking. I don't think those respond well to higher voltage like1.5v either.

The 5600x has different memory controller.

Try the system with one memory chip.

There should be a compatibility list available.  This is basically tested components available at the time of release that are compatible.

I have memory that the controller will OC with one chip, but when four slots are filled the frequency takes a hit down two profiles.  I manually went down two profiles.  Auto would not boot.  I have a capacity vs frequency trade off.

I didn't see the OP used the "Try it" memory option in the BIOS.

Download the Ryzen Memory Calculator and plug those numbers in, you will get better results i think.

You should invest in some quality 3600-4000 C16 speed memory. You spent the money for a 3080 and a 5600x so why go cheap on memory ? Ryzen cpus really need fast memory with the tightest timings possible to give their best performance. 3600 C16 would be a good buy since it will also allow the cpu infinity fabric to run at 1800mhz. avast driver jiofi.local.html

Edited by flisterseven

10 hours ago, flisterseven said:

You should invest in some quality 3600-4000 C16 speed memory. You spent the money for a 3080 and a 5600x so why go cheap on memory ? Ryzen cpus really need fast memory with the tightest timings possible to give their best performance. 3600 C16 would be a good buy since it will also allow the cpu infinity fabric to run at 1800mhz.

The op shouldn't go above 3600 because that is the limit of the 2700X Infinity Fabric. 3800 for Zen2 and 4000~ for Zen3.