not an overclocker, but have put together our computer

lyees

Hi cj and stickandstone,

Very much obliged for your help.  Firstly, cj, earlier today I say your post checked your PSU link.  Sure nuf, you're right.  I got the power supply box down from the closet and it shows a picture of the EPS/ATX12 8-4 pin connector.  I looked and looked for it, but couldn't find it.  My husband tapped me on the shoulder to say he found it while I was talking to my sister in law on the phone.  I later checked what he had found and it was on the back side panel of the chassis, hidden away, as it wasn't needed when I first installed the A8NE mobo.  Brother.  I laughed, but also felt stupid.  It was separated into two 4-pin connectors.   So, that was that, installed it and the remaining connectors and booted up into the new P6T bios and all is well.  This poopy 8500GT video card still works which I have been wanting to upgrade it, but as it still works, it will be a while before I do that. 

@sticknstone, thanks for the advice.  With the A8NE mobo, my husband assumes its the CPU, which is why he ordered another one.  Hasn't arrived yet.  But I think it's the motherboard.  We have two older Dell cases that might or might not fit the A8NE mobo.  If not, my husband checked ebay  and saw several used cases that are inexpensive.  That way he can later order a cheap chassis if he wants to continue trying to revive the old socket 939 mobo.  I appreciate both of for helping me, especially since it's been years since I've done this and the brain cells seems to have died in the mean time. It's coming back again after going through this.  I really do prefer AMD cpus.  I found one comment on Intel CPUs and why they needed the 12V 8-pin connector....."Because they're power suckers".  :rolleyes:

Edited by lyees
photo removal

yes that's good :banana:and one of these days a new video solution to retire the gt8500 or give it to the hubby... :lol: 

so just one thought on intel versus amd and it's this; within the last few years it has come to light that intel chips have been leaking data and primarily due to design flaws that allow unscrupulous hackers to infiltrate and exploit confidential data. So with that in mind I will not build another Intel machine until they close the door and keep it closed...

I know I'm not the only member in here that feels this way but frankly I think it's too late (apologize for the negativity) as some really bad news about other foreign governments and spies getting into our government and corporate networks and files has been in the news a lot lately... and it has probably been going on for much longer than we know about, but intel is off the table for me that's for sure...

Happy new year ! and be good to yourself over there !!

Intel Info

939 can still get plenty of work done, especially if you get a dual core CPU. Searching on ebay ~"amd x2 939" you can find dual cores for ~$20. That with your 4gb of RAM will make a nice light system.

Probably won't interest you but I used to run my 939 system overclocked to 3.2 GHz sometimes, usually 3 GHz, with 4x512 RAM at DDR-550. That really woke the old stuff up, but you won't have luck on the A8NE. If your motherboard died you might try to get a better one like the Asus A8N-SLI, or if you wanted to build the ultimate 939 system the A8N32-SLI - some guys have got it working with 8/16gb of ECC/registered memory! Here's a video of someone playing crysis on 939 with 8gb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJfb81zd7g I'm trying to piece a system like that together for nostalgia sake - I have the motherboard and RAM but had life events interrupt the progress... This forum used to be at least in part a major socket 939 community as DFI and then DIY forums wayyyy back in the day!

Good luck whichever way you go. I also love the Intel LGA 1366 socket, which is all before the issues Intel has been patching. You can get xeon CPUs for dirt cheap, triple channel memory, and keep up with modern stuff fairly well especially if you dabble with overclocking.

2 hours ago, RHKCommander959 said:

939 can still get plenty of work done, especially if you get a dual core CPU. Searching on ebay ~"amd x2 939" you can find dual cores for ~$20. That with your 4gb of RAM will make a nice light system.

Probably won't interest you but I used to run my 939 system overclocked to 3.2 GHz sometimes, usually 3 GHz, with 4x512 RAM at DDR-550. That really woke the old stuff up, but you won't have luck on the A8NE. If your motherboard died you might try to get a better one like the Asus A8N-SLI, or if you wanted to build the ultimate 939 system the A8N32-SLI - some guys have got it working with 8/16gb of ECC/registered memory! Here's a video of someone playing crysis on 939 with 8gb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJfb81zd7g I'm trying to piece a system like that together for nostalgia sake - I have the motherboard and RAM but had life events interrupt the progress... This forum used to be at least in part a major socket 939 community as DFI and then DIY forums wayyyy back in the day!

Good luck whichever way you go. I also love the Intel LGA 1366 socket, which is all before the issues Intel has been patching. You can get xeon CPUs for dirt cheap, triple channel memory, and keep up with modern stuff fairly well especially if you dabble with overclocking.

:thx:the DFI Lanparty days may be over but  back in 2007-8 when I first came on here this was what was happening ! and it was alot of fun up in here too:withstupid:OCC FTW !!

• Like 1

Hi all,
@sticknstones, I forgot to mention that I checked through the memory modules - fine.  The cmos battery was replaced last year.  Thanks for the tips!  

We're at a stopping point with the A8NE board.  The replacement Athlon CPU arrived, but now we don't have a chassis for it.  Those cases in the photo, one a Dell with an Asus P2B-D with dual Pent. 11's and a Micron case that has been skeletonized do not allow for the A8NE board as the I/O shield in these are part of the chassis, not pop outable and replaceable, so not exactly ATX standard.  And, the 400W PSU that it came with doesn't have an ATX12 4-pin  connector for the mobo.  My husband was wondering if one could use one of the molex 12v, if there is an adapter that goes from molex to ATX12 4-pin connector?  Can do an easy search on that. One can really go down the rabbit hole with making a system with parts from different computer generations. We're trying to use what we have if we can.  It didn't take my husband long to find that one can buy cases for cheap on ebay, so he might go that route.

@RHKCommander959, that is interesting to read.  Remember, I'm not an overclocker, and the only computer game I ever played was Solitaire, but very eye-opening.  When reading about the A8NE board on Newegg, one of the reviewers back in the day said they had done what you mentioned about putting non-specified DDR modules in their system.

@wildman2, thanks.  That was going to be my next query...what's a decent graphics card for the Intel P6T mainboard?  Will check out your suggestion in a couple of months when the budget allows.  

This new setup will be for backing up videos.  That's about all we used the old setup for, plus during tax time to use our usb printer.  I used to use it for our dial-up connection that we had until two years ago, when we got rid of our land line and now use our smartphones as hot spot devices. No wifi card.  Which is good, as I don't want to connect it to the internet.  We have laptops for that, an IBM thinkpad R60 and a used Dell XPS M1530.  The M1530 is hooked up to our 32" flat panel TV via HDMI cable, goes to my old JVC R-S5 receiver, out to two 2-ft 2 1/2 ft. tall laminated vinyl speakers to give us a theatre-like experience watching backed up videos off of our external hard drives.  Well, somewhat theatre-like, as the display is small compared to many, but just the right size for our living room.

Next, I'll have to tell you about an EPOX 8KTA3 Pro mainboard I got in a trade, mainly wanted it for the 266 Athlon CPU to fit in another board we got from a computer repair shop.  I tried running Linux Mepis on it; didn't like it.  Now that seems like ancient history.:happy:

Edited by lyees
photo removal

With all that you are doing with it you'd prolly not need a really high powered graphics card.With pcie 2 expansion slots you are limited to that speed on the MB.Probably be able to use any of the video cards newer than the 8500gt you have now.I'm not a video card guru,but Ive seen benchmarks with that MB from a 1050 on up to a 3060 video card. An inexpensive newish lower tier video card should work.That 9800gtx I mentioned earlier in this thread would also work. Are you going to be using Linux as the OS?

For video conversion, we use Windows 7, but for everything else such as tax work, Linux.  The Nvidia legacy linux driver works pretty good, not so the open source nouveau if we use dual-monitors.  Husband plans to put a cad program on it, like Solid Works on W7. 

Thanks for the graphics card tips.

Lisa