cloning my os

slapnuts

I own a asus z390 e strix mobo it has two slots for a nvme drive both support PCie 3.0 x 4. I have a samsung 970 evo plus 500g in one of the slots, I want to upgrade to the 1 tb version. Can I put the 1tb Samsung stick in the second slot and use Samsung's data migration software to clone the original 500 g 0r will I need to purchase a Plugable USB C to M.2 NVMe Tool-free Enclosure to do the job?  Thanks

not sure on the ssd front but it should be a simple matter of using a universal boot cd flashed to a usb drive n use parted magic to clone the os ssd to the 1tb ssd under linux you could use the gnome disk utility program to cloan the drive and restore the image to the new drive and then extend the partition as needed to the max size of the drive

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

its not a ssd though its a NVme .2.0 samsung 970 pro
same tech different conecters Nvme 2.0 slides in a slot and screws into the mobo and the drive has no moving parts.

sata ssds have sata power and sata data conecters and screw into the case and the drive has no moving parts.

thus both drives are a type of ssd as are flash drives

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

yes ok but I think my question is kinda being lost here so let me put it this way if i were to put the second 1 tb Samsung nvme into the bottom slot and booted into windows then went to disk manager it should be recognized as a second drive. So using a program like Samsung data migration tool is it possible to open that program and direct it to clone the os and other files from the 500g nvme to the newly installed 1tb nvme drive?

I do not know the Samsung data migration tool, but copying the contents of a drive over like you wish should work. Though it has been years now, I copied the Windows install from a SATA SSD to an NVMe to make the NVMe drive the boot drive for the system I am using right now. What I cannot remember is if I needed to then expand the partition on the NVMe drive, as the previous drive was smaller. Not a difficult thing to do, but might be an extra step.

Unfortunately my lack of experience with the Samsung tool means I cannot offer any kind of promise this will work, but the idea of what you want to do is certainly possible as I have done something similar before. (The tool I used was MiniTool Partition Wizard, but it appears the current free version does not allow copying of the boot drive, so that might not be too helpful.)

• 6 months later...