Sign in to follow this  
Blenk

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT blue screen & MemTest86 Errors

Hi All, 

Posting here as I found @ir_cow's handy guide to using MemTest86 (thanks!). 

I recently upgraded my rig to have 2 x 16GB memory modules in it, Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38 (wanted low latency RAM in preparation for a Ryzen 5xxx CPU upgrade). Part number BL2K16G36C16U4WL. It is currently running at the default JEDEC profile for 2666MHz, timings here: 

Q7Ts763.png

I had trouble with my motherboard running the ram in its XMP 3600MHz profile — it seems to boot with the RAM in that profile when 'save and exiting' from BIOS okay, and I'll get to Windows with the RAM behaving correctly, but subsequent reboots will not POST correctly and the RAM is set to its slowest (2133MHz) profile. I've just left the speed/timings/profile selection in BIOS on 'auto' for now, which selects 2666MHz and the above timings. Hopefully a new motherboard and a Ryzen 5xxx will solve the above without me having to think about it. 

However, last night I had a (my first) MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreen. At the time I was watching a game trailer on Steam. I have played many hours of games on it over the weekend (fitted Friday night, first problem Monday night) with no issues. I've run MemTest86 (default tests, 4 passes) and come back with a whole load of errors I would not expect to see. The earliest memory address issue is <16GB in, and the highest is >16GB in so I suspect it's not faulty RAM sticks but rather another hardware issue. 

BSOD .dmp file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEOghuPc04ISVE35c9tA8G90TZyvvH8-/view?usp=sharing

MemTest86 result: https://i.imgur.com/cloa83V.png (can provide the HTML file if needed, thought that was more dodgy though)

System (+ new RAM, none of the old stuff in any more): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GLLWgJ

What can I do to narrow this down, and what could cause these sorts of issues? 

Thanks!

Alright so let me get this straight.

Your system is a i7-7700K with a ASUS Z170.

You have 4x 4GB 2400 and now swapped it out for 2x 16GB but now getting BSOD in windows and memtest is showing errors?

Its been a while since I had a 7700K, but I think 3600 should work. I don't remember what the limit is for that CPU, but dual rank DIMMs take some extra care. You most likely will need to bump up the SA voltage.

As for Ryzen 3rd gen (3000 series) sometimes it needs a voltage bump on the SOC, though Ive had fairly good luck with the motherboard handling it all on Auto.

2 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Alright so let me get this straight.

Your system is a i7-7700K with a ASUS Z170.

You have 4x 4GB 2400 and now swapped it out for 2x 16GB but now getting BSOD in windows and memtest is showing errors?

Its been a while since I had a 7700K, but I think 3600 should work. I don't remember what the limit is for that CPU, but dual rank DIMMs take some extra care. You most likely will need to bump up the SA voltage.

As for Ryzen 3rd gen (3000 series) sometimes it needs a voltage bump on the SOC, though Ive had fairly good luck with the motherboard handling it all on Auto.

Yup, that's right. Intel's processor page says 2133 & 2400MHz for DDR4, but obviously these are mostly bollocks and the processors will work with 'OC' RAM. 

I think I'll try setting the RAM to its lowest speed (2133) and running memtest, see if the errors persevere. I'll also see what the motherboard is choosing as the SA voltage currently @ 2666Mhz, and if applicable turn it up a bit higher. Thanks for the reply! 

It looks like Kaby Lake memory tops out at 4133. VCCIO for 3600 should be around 1.15-1.30v and the SA 1.2-1.35v.

No exact number since each CPU is different but its within that range.