How To Make A Game Server

Lesh

I know if you want a game server you have to pay monthly for it, but can't you just turn your PC into a server? I would rather buy a cheap PC from ibuypower.com than pay monthly.

Yea you can turn your pc into a server, or build one. The thing is that the typical speed isn't that high... Most servers you would rent would be on a T1 or T3 and have blazing speeds up and down. Thats why many do that. Also, servers are tough to build, unless you have a 64 bit many servers are dual processor with a lot of ram! If your running a server I suggest using a gig or more of ram.

Check out the speed of your computer, try out this test: CNet Bandwidth Test <- I get 5018.5 up and down! :)

Edited by Special_K

It all depends...

You don't need a dual CPU server for certain things (i.e. ftp or gaming server)

What are you going to use the server for?

And yes u need a lot of bandwith, my ISP only gives me half a T1 for upload... and that is still a crap load of money ($109.99) a month with static ip...

that is still a crap load of money ($109.99) a month with static ip...

srry for asking this stupid question but what the hell is the difference between dynamic and static?

... im the n00b

Static is having the same IP address 24/7 it never changes...

Dynamic Ip's change every day, every few days, depending on how your ISP does it...

thanks

i would get static is more hacker seseptibly (srry cant spell)

So basically you saying that i should just pay for a server

Also can i use regular computer for IRC server?

Pay for a server if you don't want to pay for all the bandwith, however Owning a server and your own bandwith is cheaper in the long run....

Yes you can set it up as an IRC server...

i would get static is more hacker seseptibly (srry cant spell)

Yes you are correct.

I own a server company and our prices are really cheap for the goods we're selling. We run out of XO Datasystems in Irvine, California on dual opteron246 servers. www.2102.net if you're interested.

Of course you can run your own server, but you wont have as great a connection and likely wont have as fast a computer.

Iam going to check it out.

How come all the good stuff is in Irvine?

Also sory for the dumb questions but what is the difference between private and public server? Which one is better for a game server?

Edited by Lesh