OK. So ive been looking at a bunch of different mons. Its for my son as a Christmas gift.

Hoping to stay under 400.00. This looks like a great mon. https://www.newegg.com/p/3D4-000W-00069?Description=ultrawide gsync&cm_re=ultrawide_gsync-_-9SIA6BMBA49554-_-Product

But it not 2k. So the question is would a mon that is 100hz @ 3440 X1440p be better then a mon that will do 144hz and oc to 200hz @1080p ?https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0812DKDD9/?coliid=IL1WA403QJ2JH&colid=3DYIH8D9GT3GC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it   This mon is not g sync compatible

Is the higher res more important then refresh rates as far as gaming goes. Im looking only at ultrawide mons. His vga card is an1080ti

BTW , dont want thing smaller then 34" wide.

Thanks.

Edited by dling

Well my personal opinion on this subject, is the higher the resolution the better. I have a Acer Predator 27" 165Hz 2K monitor and when the Display port broke and I went back to 60hz, I couldn't tell the difference really. Sure it was less "smooth" but it didn't change my ability to get kills. I much rather have a higher resolution than uber refresh rate. But I also not a competitive gamer. I play COD, Battlefield 5 and Destiny 2 mostly. None require much skill be be considered good.

If you are playing Valiant, CS:GO or Apex Legends, it might make more sense to go all out with the increased refresh rate.

So maybe I look at the second choice. The sceptre from Amazon.  It's still within my price range. Really hoping that some great deals pop up during black Friday. 

Edited by dling

look at monitor reviews from gear seekers and hadrware Canucks and Hardware Unboxed as they have done good reviews on 1080 p monitors.

Here is a Gigabyte one from Amazon : Amazon Gigabyte product  and review gear seekers review

Here is the reviews for 1080 P from Hardware UnBoxed and in the description has about 9 models.. 

Hope that helps :) They are all in your price range.. 

Edited by Gremlin

Resolution is how detailed the image looks.  Higher resolution looks better at a closer distance.

Refresh rate is how many times the image is updated on the screen.  When the image is not smooth there is a bottleneck occuring.  Things are changing in game faster than they are being shown on screen.  Refresh rate is closely linked to FPS.  FPS is how many images the PC makes, so that if you only make 60 FPS then 60 Hz is all you need.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:04 PM, Gremlin said:

look at monitor reviews from gear seekers and hadrware Canucks and Hardware Unboxed as they have done good reviews on 1080 p monitors.

Here is a Gigabyte one from Amazon : Amazon Gigabyte product  and review gear seekers review

Here is the reviews for 1080 P from Hardware UnBoxed and in the description has about 9 models.. 

Hope that helps :) They are all in your price range.. 

Thanks. Good reviews. Im looking for 34 or 35 inch  in the ultra wide type.

I have the Acer Predator @100hz 34". I would like to give son something similar in size. I really like my monitor.