dling

3080 VGA card

Do you guys think there will be a 3080 ti card after the fe version is released ?

Oh yeah. It happens every single generation. GSO, GT, Ti, Super, all the same thing. But it is usually about a year after the initial launch as a refresh.

Yes.. 3070 Ti is coming out.. There is a rumor that 3080 video card with 20 gigs of RAM as well.. Wonder how much that is gong to cost..

I dont really see a reason to go above the 10gb mark for 99% of users. The only exception is for HD texture packs at 4K or 8K gaming.

If arent doing either. No reason to go out of your way and pay more for the same thing. But the 3070 Ti seems fishy. I think someome miss typed or left it as a placeholder. 

So lets see Final Fantasy 15, Skyrim, Far Cry 5, Borderlands 2 and Monster Hunter Worlds are the only games I can think of that released HD texutre packs. Would I spend $150-200 more for extra memory above 10GB. Not me, but I guess if that is the games you love to play it might be worth the cost.

Just because there's no RTX 3080 Ti at the 30-series launch doesn't mean we'll never see one,.. unless it's called the RTX 3080 Super, that is.

Holding off on a potential RTX 3080 Ti gives Nvidia room to maneuver against Radeon's new high-end cards, which AMD said will launch later this year. If Big Navi winds up more powerful than the RTX 3080, a faster 3080 Ti could fix that. 

I've also been thinking about it.

At the moment there's not enough of the large GA102 die to go around, it's already in short supply because it's used in both the 3080 and the 3090.

In the past the Ti was a cut down 102 die, and this gen the 3080 already is a cut down GA102 die. I think we're actually getting what was meant to be the  3080Ti as the 3080 at $699 thanks to AMD providing competition.

It will be interesting to see what Big Navi does.
If it comes with 16Gb that would mean it's either 256bit (starved on bandwidth) or 512bit (very expensive).
It's more likely it comes with 12Gb which would mean it's 384bit, a good balance of cost/performance and quite an advantage over the 8Gb 256-bit 3070.

If the rumors are true and Big Navi's performance fits in between the 3070 and 3080, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a 16Gb 3070 Super with GDDR6X instead of GDDR6 to counter AMD, but then it would eat into 10Gb 3080 sales so NVIDIA would need to consider launching a 20Gb 3080 too.

So in summary, this is what I think will happen :
- RTX 3000 series launches as usual. 
- The 12Gb or 16Gb RDNA2 flagship card's performance fits between the 3070 and 3080.
- Early 2021 NVIDIA counters with a 
16Gb 3070 Super with 19Gbps GDDR6X instead of GDDR6 on the larger GA103 die instead of GA104 - faster than Big Navi but slower than 3080.
- Mid 2021 NVIDIA launches 20Gb 3080 Super with higher clocks and faster GDDR6X (Micron did say they're aiming for 21-23Gbps for 2021 so that would be similar to the Super upgrade of Turing).

Nyt you have a good point. I didn't think of the competition. Only reason to shove 16GB into these cards besides for HD Texture packs is to match AMD. People look at the big numbers, but not the actual performance. Basic market strategy. Heck when testing the Titan Xp, I still haven't used 12GB in any game. The ones that are close is only at 4K and they sure don't run well lol.

By the time 16,20 or 24gb is used, gamers will have moved onto 16K gaming. Remember when the 780 6GB came out. How well does that fair in modern games...

NYT : Yes you are correct..3060 TI might be released with 3070  as well . That card has 8 megs

43 minutes ago, Gremlin said:

NYT : Yes you are correct..3060 TI might be released with 3070  as well . That card has 8 megs

What is this the year 1999? 8 meg huh :)

So if you guys  see my signature.  My I already bottle neck with current rig ? Would I be bottle neck with the 3080ti ?

I have the 2080ti FE

Edited by dling

1 hour ago, ir_cow said:

What is this the year 1999? 8 meg huh :)

Aargh 8 gigs :P