Gremlin

ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490

11 hours ago, ir_cow said:

OH no way! That was me hahaa. I killed my i7-3930K with a LLC of Extreme. No one ever discusses the fact that LLC raises the voltage. It doesn't make it more "stable". Just adds more voltage on top of what you set so when the vdroop happens, so it isn't lower then the required voltage when under load. Almost killed my i9-10900K this exact same way last week by following some OC guide. Stupid LLC. Nothing has changed on that front. DO NOT use LLC unless you are on LN2.

Edit: A lot of people swear by using LLC for overclocking, but I think LLC is either only good for LN2 or if you have a really crappy motherboard and the VRMs suck like the Gigabyte z490 Vision G i'm using. what a pile of shit for overclocking.

This is interesting, did a quick test.

On my 9900K with my Strix Z390-E at 1.3v core with LLC on the lowest (which is level 1), I can't even boot into Windows without a BSOD.
At 1.285v with LLC 6 (max is 7), I'm 100% stable with Cinebench, Realbench, hours of gaming, basically everything. HWiNFO shows load voltage around 1.279V which is close to what I have in BIOS. 

Without LLC I'd probably have to increase the voltage a lot.

Posted (edited)

Paying for chip binning, custom water, and solid overclocking motherboard is vary expensive,.. but makes a huge difference with 10-core chips. 

Edited by Braegnok

6 hours ago, Nyt said:

This is interesting, did a quick test.

On my 9900K with my Strix Z390-E at 1.3v core with LLC on the lowest (which is level 1), I can't even boot into Windows without a BSOD.
At 1.285v with LLC 6 (max is 7), I'm 100% stable with Cinebench, Realbench, hours of gaming, basically everything. HWiNFO shows load voltage around 1.279V which is close to what I have in BIOS. 

Without LLC I'd probably have to increase the voltage a lot.

What sensor are you reading off of?

I also guess it depends on how you set the voltage. Adaptive, overide and fixed do different things. I use fixed becuse I don't have to dick around stuff.

When I set extreme LLC it puts a extra 0.2v+ into the CPU. So say 1.35v is the max safe limit. you'll be running 1.55v. This is how i killed that 3930K. I remember needing 1.4v for 4.6Ghz. Trying for 4.7ghz didnt work and I read to raise the LLC for better stability. Turns out it jamped 1.65v into it. 

So from my view instead of using a low oc voltage with a high LLC, just set the voltage appropriately in the first place.

1 hour ago, ir_cow said:

What sensor are you reading off of?

I also guess it depends on how you set the voltage. Adaptive, overide and fixed do different things. I use fixed becuse I don't have to dick around stuff.

When I set extreme LLC it puts a extra 0.2v+ into the CPU. So say 1.35v is the max safe limit. you'll be running 1.55v. This is how i killed that 3930K. I remember needing 1.4v for 4.6Ghz. Trying for 4.7ghz didnt work and I read to raise the LLC for better stability. Turns out it jamped 1.65v into it. 

So from my view instead of using a low oc voltage with a high LLC, just set the voltage appropriately in the first place.

HWiNFO vcore reading and VID readings. Fixed voltage in bios at 1.285v.
Maximum VID recorded was 1.296v but mostly 1.279V under ASUS Realbench or Cinebench stress testing. 
So  0.017v higher than what I set in BIOS,

To be honest I didn't know too much about LLC. Watching the buildzoid video on Gamers Nexus about it, it seems like medium is not so bad but that the "Extreme" setting on most boards is often way too high and dangerous.

Hmm. Well HWinfo is going be the most actuate without probing it yourself especially if you are looking at the VRM controller readout and not the BIOS one.

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you had it set to extreme (LLC 6) and still getting .01v uplift. Most OC guides will say LLC 2 is safe. Which I mostly agree with. However what is never explained or misunderstood is that the voltage is automatically raised with LLC so the vdroop is less impactful. The way Buildzoid seems to explain it is that higher LLC gives more "stable" OC. This is true, but not the way I think about it. It is only more stable because you are pushing more voltage to accommodate for the vdroop.

I actually was trying to follow his z490 OC guide for this i9-10900K before I played around with it myself. Using his LLC settings and override mode I ended up with 1.55v. Good thing I was looking and it wasn't running that high for long.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:25 PM, Gremlin said:

Thank you guys fot your input..

I was busy doing house to do list, in between saw Nyts's post.. I missed the main step and did an assumption. I looked at the parts the guy ordered Motherboard and CPU.. CPU was LGA 1151  and motherboard LGA 1200. Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Sort of angry at myself for not looking the parts closely.. I assumed he chose the right parts.New cpu he is getting now is the one that gores with the motherboard. 

Thank you for the help :)

If your friend forced the CPU into the socket, latched the retention bracket, and installed a cooler,.. most likely he damaged the motherboard socket. :ouch: