ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490

Hi guys,

A friend decided to go for Intel CPUI( Intel Core i9-9900K ) with an Asus Motherboard Z490 board with Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 128GB Link to the RAM:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08353YGJT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&sa-no-redirect=1

with Corsair AIO and Geofroce 2080 Super. PSU EVGA 1200

System is outside the case. Everything is plugged in correctly. AIO turns on (well it lights up) and all the radiator fans turn on..

However the RTX logo does not light up on the video card. Corsair memory lights up..

The board code always shows 00.. No display.

I set up the video card to my PC and it works as soon as I turn the PC on, (get display) RTX logo lightts up.. 

Any ideas?? He is going to do an RMA on the board.. I am out of ideas. Could it be a bad cpu?

Thank you

Edited by Gremlin

Z490 uses the LGA1200 socket and is only compatible with the Intel 10 series CPUs .
The i9 9900K CPU uses the LGA1151 socket, which is what a Z390 board has.

You sure about the model numbers ? Is it a 10900K and Z490 instead ? Or 9900K and Z390 instead ?

Pull your Graphics Card, and re-seat card, insure it's firmly seated and latched, pull and re-seat display cable from card to monitor, and power connections to card,..

Go into your BIOS, Advanced Mode, System Agent Configuration and check Graphics configuration, and confirm PCIE is your primary display, 

The CPU notches are reserved from the 1151 / i9-9900K. So if you place the CPU in with the arrow in the correct corner it will not fit. Not to mention the different amount of pins. Hopefully you didn't force a i9-9900K into the z490-1200 socket.

The 00 Q-Code in the manual says its not used. A generic way of saying the motherboard is on but not doing anything. 01-06 is the CPU, 07-22 is the memory and so forth.

As Braegnog said, I would re-seat the video card such. But if your stuck on 00, it is before any of that. First I would make sure you have the right CPU in the socket and it is seated correctly.

"Code 00 usually means a dead cpu or faulty motherboard" - Exactly. If the CPU isn't seated correctly, dead CPU or a faulty motherboard that code will come up. Or I guess if it has no CPU in it.

1 hour ago, Braegnok said:

Was that you back in 2016 ROG thread?  That's why I posted the old thread,.. the OP was iamacow. ;) 

OH no way! That was me hahaa. I killed my i7-3930K with a LLC of Extreme. No one ever discusses the fact that LLC raises the voltage. It doesn't make it more "stable". Just adds more voltage on top of what you set so when the vdroop happens, so it isn't lower then the required voltage when under load. Almost killed my i9-10900K this exact same way last week by following some OC guide. Stupid LLC. Nothing has changed on that front. DO NOT use LLC unless you are on LN2.

Edit: A lot of people swear by using LLC for overclocking, but I think LLC is either only good for LN2 or if you have a really crappy motherboard and the VRMs suck like the Gigabyte z490 Vision G i'm using. what a pile of shit for overclocking.

Thank you guys fot your input..

I was busy doing house to do list, in between saw Nyts's post.. I missed the main step and did an assumption. I looked at the parts the guy ordered Motherboard and CPU.. CPU was LGA 1151  and motherboard LGA 1200. Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Sort of angry at myself for not looking the parts closely.. I assumed he chose the right parts.New cpu he is getting now is the one that gores with the motherboard. 

Thank you for the help :)

37 minutes ago, Gremlin said:

Thank you ir-cow..

He is getting I9-10900 k LGA 1200 cpu.. 

Sooooooo. As much as I respect my fellow Youtubers and reviewers, that CPU runs hot. A lot of video and articles saying it never gets above 80c. It is a matter of use and voltage honestly. If you are just gaming than it will probably never get above 70c. The second you do any sort of video encoding or 3d-rendering it will hit 100c with a air cooler and downclock itself.

I was using a Nuctua D-14, (I know its old but its the same as the D15). Anything but gaming it would throttle under a minute. Usually it would just barely pass Cinebench R20. I highly recommend a 360mm AIO. Even with a 480 custom loop I am still getting 92c in Prime95. Video renderings get up to about 83c. This is only at 5Ghz (all-core) @1.25v, but that still draws 250watts. If I push it to 5.1Ghz 1.35v it will pull 332 Watts and cannot run Prime95 for more than 5 minutes before it reaches 99c again.

So in short for cooling, - gaming doesn't matter much, 3d or video encoding a AIO is a must at stock (1core turbo 5.3ghz). If you want all core 5ghz and do anything cpu heavy you will need a custom water loop. You need 1.25v to make 5Ghz all-core stable. No way around it and that draws about 220-250 watts.