Nyt

NVIDIA Special Event September 1st - likely the new RTX cards being announced

Oh boy. I hope my MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 is fine and doesn't have any CTD issues, because if mine is faulty then I'll be facing a 1,5-2 month delay to get a different one because there's a huge backorder list in South Africa :( 

"RTX 3080 Crash to Desktop Problems Likely Connected to AIB-Designed Capacitor Choice"
Source : https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/rtx-3080-crash-to-desktop-problems-likely-connected-to-aib-designed-capacitor-choice

I didn't have any issues with the Gaming X Trio. Though two things to consider. One; At stock it rarely went above 2Ghz which is where "supposedly" the problem is with steady voltage. Two; Even overclocked which did swing to 2100Mhz at times did not crash (once the OC was dialed in).

Now I only have about 40 hours of use between all the benchmarks I ran, but I believe the sample I got, which is the same as retail did not have this crash problem with the beta drivers or launch drivers.

I also have a Corsair HX 1200 Watt power supply and I have a hunch that people with crashing don't have powers supplies capable of 350 watts sustained with dropping below 11.8v. Just a guess, but I bet it will pan out that steady 12v is necessary unless you have extra MLCC capacitors.

Edit: I not defending MSI for using less MLCC capacitors in the design, but I also didn't experience any of these desktop crashes.

Jay tore apart several new 30-series cards,.. the MSI Gaming X trio cards have the same cap layout as FE card,.. 

Edited by Braegnok

4 hours ago, Braegnok said:

Jay tore apart several new 30-series cards,.. the MSI Gaming X trio cards have the same cap layout as FE card,.. 

It's definitely only 1. The MSI 3090 is the card with 2 MLCC groups. 

I see EVGA has acknowleged the issue and is making  changes to their cards :  https://forums.evga.com/Message-about-EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3080-POSCAPs-m3095238.aspx

Going to be a rough go for those who receive a faulty card,.. the AIB partners should step up and offer cross-shipping RMAs to help speed-up the process.

I guess your going to be pulling your back plate after you receive your new card, see what type cap layout your card has,.. :popcorn:

Edited by Braegnok

Okay so it  looks like a few cards are safe from this issue. Some brands will have the MLCC section behind the GPU uncovered so you can take a peak. Zotac covers it completely.

Safe

1. EVGA FTW3 (Retail Only - Review Samples have problems)
  2. MSI Gaming X Trio
  3. ASUS TUF 
  4. ASUS STRIX
  5. NVIDIA Founders

Issues:

1. MSI Venus
  2. Zotac - Everything?
  3. Gigabyte - Everything?
  4. EVGA Black Edition - Unconfirmed

Don't worry Nvidia will fix issue. :yes:

Get ready for the latest Nvidia GeForce Graphics Driver,.. includes automatic performance tuning, downclocking for RTX 3080 3090 GPUs.  

Edited by Braegnok

On 9/26/2020 at 9:32 PM, Braegnok said:

Don't worry Nvidia will fix issue. :yes:

Get ready for the latest Nvidia GeForce Graphics Driver,.. includes automatic performance tuning, downclocking for RTX 3080 3090 GPUs.  

You're joking but NVIDIA actually brought out 456.55 WHQL a few hours ago and there seems to be very positive feedback from RTX3080 users.
Sounds like the issues have been solved, with minimal (if any?) performance loss :)

"Fixed" by lowering the clock speed haha. Actually I don't know what changed to make it stable.

That's funny, I was only joking.  But I guess if the new driver keeps the boost frequency @ roughly 1950 MHz than problem should not occur,.. :lol:

15 hours ago, ir_cow said:

"Fixed" by lowering the clock speed haha. Actually I don't know what changed to make it stable.

With the new driver does your MSI RTX 3080 review card still boost frequency between 1959MHz and 2100MHz, and do you still see a 100MHz swing in clock frequency depending on the resolution and work demand.