RTX 2080 None Super Overclock

The core sits around 1995-2010MHz and the memory i got it at 8000MHz so far. It's GDDR6 so it can't go higher than 16000 which is 8000MHz right? I haven't touched the power limit, it's still set to 100. I haven't changed any voltages or even enabled the voltage settings in Afterburner. The GPU is set to Optimal Power in the nVIDIA Control Panel. So basically i've only added +90 for the core and +1000 for the memory. How far have you guys pushed your None Super RTX 2080?

Edited by Dynamic

I think you are close to the limits. 2050-2100 on the core is the best you can hope for without voltage hard mods or going LN2. I saw a video of kingpin getting 2400 core just by being on LN2 @ stock settings. 2650mhz for a causal overclock.

So the core can do higher but you need to be below 35c under load.

As for the memory, all the super card has is a increase in speed to 16Gbps / 8000mhz. 800-1000mhz oc is common for none-super. But you are about at the limit. At least on the FE model, it uses the same Micron ICs.

Make sure to validate the overclock with benchmarks. I also like to use 3dmark stress test. Usually TimeSpy Extreme. If you get 98% or above the OC is stable.

In most of the games that i play it sits around 2010MHz for the most part and will dip down to 1995MHz. But in the game called Control it fluctuates way lower with the overclock. Do you remember the commands to overclock the GPU Core in Afterburner; it takes it through a series of tests, i can't remember what the keys were. The memory should be at it's peak for GDDR6; 8000MHz 16000. Depending on how the temperture is in my room or which game i'm playing the GPU temp will run at different tempertures. What do you think 85c is hot or 90c? Hey i remember you, you've been a member while that other dude was here, i can't remember his username, but i'm sure you remember him too, they let him go because of some issues i heard. Anyhow hope to hear from ya.

Wow joined 2005 eh? Yeah its been a few years. I use to go by hornybluecow. Lots of other cows on OCC, like KingCow and Bluecow. 

As for the GPU temps. I believe NIVIDA actual safety is 92c, but the vBIOS will automatically throttle you down at 85c unless you use afterburner and override this to 90c. Technically speaking you lose 10mhz for every one 1c above 35. This is why idle LN2 is like 2400Mhz. of course this doesn't factor in voltage or any of that. I heard conflicting numbers of what the actual drop off is, but its roughly what I said.

As for if 85-90c is okay. Well the FE cards are designed for 80c with its default fan curve. So I would be incline to think its alright for gaming. I'm not sure I would do that for 24/7 load. The silicon will wear out quickly as seen in mining. Those cards only last 2-3 years running 24/7 @ 85c from my experience.

I've also been burnned buying used card locally. Cards that were used for long term mining from what i've seen can barely run at stock settings. One GTX 1060 I even had to downclock to get to pass benchmarks.

So it crashed twice and i've seen some artifacting at the end of the round in BF1. BF1 is not the game to benchmark to be honest. So that +120/+140 on the core was too high since i ran the memory at 8000MHz before without any crashes or artifacting. I'll see how she does in the Winter, was just playing around with it really. Thanks for your help and see you around.

• 1 month later...

This is why idle LN2 is like 2400Mhz. of course this doesn't factor in voltage or any of that. I heard conflicting numbers of what the actual drop off is, but its roughly what I said. As for if 85-90c is okay. Well the FE cards are designed for 80c with its default fan curve. So TelltheBell Survey I would be incline to think its alright for gaming. I'm not sure I would do that for 24/7 load. The silicon will wear out quickly as seen in mining. Those cards only last 2-3 years running 24/7 @ 85c from my experience.

Edited by Ndongalasy

I think its like for every 1c below 35 it gains 10mhz from the boost. At a certian point you cant go higher without more voltage.

As for talking about running cards at 85c, from my experience it is true they wear out in 2-3 years.  But for normal gaming it will be a lot less stress than what mining does. Plus you can triple that  time due to "normal" gaming sessions being no more then 8hrs per day. This means even with a abusive overclock and high temps, gamer will have the video card 6+ years. At that point it has lot all value.