Sign in to follow this  
misnelstain5

What is the importance of the motherboard?

• I have built a few PCs now, but when choosing a motherboard I have generally gone for mid to low end. I just look for something that supports the components I want and that's it really. I have never really understood or seen the importance of getting a good motherboard. I have always thought the high end ones just include on board graphics which I dont need. Am I wrong about this, does the motherboard have a larger effect on a build than I think?

If you compare a line of motherboards from the same manufacturer you'll notice that with higher pricepoint some features are added, like extra USB/PCI ports, higher RAM speeds, better quality components to allow for higher overclocks etc. Basically when picking a motherboard think about headroom on all the components you want to run in  the system and make sure the motherboard supports everything you plan on using. Once those requirements are met, you have your perfect motherboard. There is no point in paying extra for, lets say, a model that allows for higher RAM speeds if you don't plan on using sticks that run at that speed. Hope this helps

I've noticed some motherboards skimp on VRM cooling. HardwareUnboxed on Youtube is usually a good source for seeing which motherboards with high VRM temps you should avoid.

There's also a few other aspects that were important when I was considering motherboards before upgrading 
M.2 slots supporting NVME
USB 3.0 ports 
WiFi capability 

And RGB of course :D