Gremlin

New Nvidia Ampere Series cards

Anyone heard if the the plug is going to change on these cards to a 12 pin plug?

That's lame correct? There are people out there who bought new hardware just to use this card..

So far the rumor / leak is that the new design is a 12-Pin that can handle 600 Watts. So the Founders edition and any reference card will have this.  I suspect most AIB partners that do custom PCBs will stick to 2x8Pin.

I highly doubt it would require a new PSU.
If there is a new plug, they'd probably just supply the necessary adapters in the box. 

I just hope the cooling is up to scratch. I don't mind the higher power draw but I don't like hot noisy cards.

The reference GeForce RTX 3000 series cards with the PG142 PCB will have new 12-pin connector, will be 2 X 6-pin PCIe, which offers 8.5A versus 6A. Also there is another, secondary 4-pin connector next to the main 12-pin connector, so power will exceed 300W.  https://www.fcpowerup.com/nvidia-30series-new-power-connector/

Cooling is a new design with fans on front, and back of reference cards, hopefully wont need to ramp up fans. Big changes are coming with Ampere.

nvidia-rtx-3080-design-bildquelle-chiphe

Edited by Braegnok

9 hours ago, Braegnok said:

The reference GeForce RTX 3000 series cards with the PG142 PCB will have new 12-pin connector, will be 2 X 6-pin PCIe, which offers 8.5A versus 6A. Also there is another, secondary 4-pin connector next to the main 12-pin connector, so power will exceed 300W.  https://www.fcpowerup.com/nvidia-30series-new-power-connector/

Cooling is a new design with fans on front, and back of reference cards, hopefully wont need to ramp up fans. Big changes are coming with Ampere.

Igor's Lab also did some research into this new connector. 

Source https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-is-dran-an-nvidias-new-12-pin-power-supply-no-panic-but-it-is-override-igorslab-investigative/

On the one hand, there was the opinion that NVIDIA will already use this new 12-pin connector on the new high-end ampere cards, whereas the reference board PG132 will still be equipped with two 8-pin sockets and this new socket will only be seen on the PG133-PCB of the Founders Edition.

In addition, there was talk of a 12-pin adapter included with the Founders Edition, which should allow the connection of two 8-pin EPS cables. That again was the reason for the excitement among the power supply manufacturers, because the EPS is actually used for the CPU supply, is currently available twice at the most and is also mostly already fully used. Thus the reported connection would not make sense at all, if new power supply standards would not be introduced.

The second assessment is much more likely, as it is assumed that NVIDIA is testing a new standard and wants to introduce it step by step later, if it proves useful in the tests. This sounds much more plausible and would also give the power supply manufacturers enough time to change the products or to provide suitable adapters for retrofitting powerful power supplies.