Sign in to follow this  
Sqopt

GPU thermal cycle/shock

Hi all,

I am back to folding after a many years long hiatus, and it's still as fun as ever. Whee!

Anyhow, I am folding on CPU and GPU and I have noticed that the GPU in particular experiences temperature swings from about 45C at idle to about 85C while folding. It only takes a couple minutes to cool from under load, and when going from idle to load the temperature stabilizes in, oh, on the order of a minute.

Is there any known detrimental effect of rapid temperature change on a GPU?  I wouldn't be surprised if it's safer to ramp temperatures up and down slowly, but that's 100% conjecture by me.

Sqopt

You can try shutting down and removing your CPU client, only folding on GPU. See if that lowers your GPU temps, and adjust your GPU fan curve for more RPM.

You are fine running GPU from idle temp of 45c up to 85c under load, but you want to run it in the 70c range while folding 24/7.

Nowadays it's best to only run GPU client's,.. CPU PPD is not worth the high heat under folding load 24/7. unless your running water cooled Intel Xeon's with 28-cores or more.  

5 hours ago, Sqopt said:

is there any known detrimental effect of rapid temperature change on a GPU?  I wouldn't be surprised if it's safer to ramp temperatures up and down slowly, but that's 100% conjecture by me.

I don't think the silicon experiences the same effects as say rubber that becomes brittle when cold and soft when warmed. Or glass if you drop it into water while its glowing hot. At least no noticeable problems for use on earth.

I mean it does have a upper and lower limit of heat / cold. but ramping up from 45 to 85c isn't a big enough swing to cause harm. At least that is what I have gathered. I could be wrong though.

19 hours ago, Braegnok said:

You can try shutting down and removing your CPU client, only folding on GPU. See if that lowers your GPU temps, and adjust your GPU fan curve for more RPM.

You are fine running GPU from idle temp of 45c up to 85c under load, but you want to run it in the 70c range while folding 24/7.

Nowadays it's best to only run GPU client's,.. CPU PPD is not worth the high heat under folding load 24/7. unless your running water cooled Intel Xeon's with 28-cores or more.  

As of just now, nvidia-smi shows an indicated temperature of 74 Celsius for my GTX-1650.  CPU cores are all reporting 58-61 Celsius. I'm not concerned about the CPU affecting the GPU temperature because the CPU is not physically adjacent to my GPUs; what's more my machine is out in the open air on my desk and not enclosed in a case.  Nights are chilly here so my office is down to about 15C at night.  Nice!

So far I am letting the GPU command fan speed itself.  Fan speed is an indicated 72%.  In human terms 74C sounds scary but my GPU is obviously more intrepid than I am.

261,000+ ppd on the CPU and 466,000+ ppd on the GTX-1650 by the way, albeit using a passkey.  This is the time of morning when I am happy to have a little extra warmth. :-)

18 hours ago, ir_cow said:

I don't think the silicon experiences the same effects as say rubber that becomes brittle when cold and soft when warmed. Or glass if you drop it into water while its glowing hot. At least no noticeable problems for use on earth.

I mean it does have a upper and lower limit of heat / cold. but ramping up from 45 to 85c isn't a big enough swing to cause harm. At least that is what I have gathered. I could be wrong though.

Totally offtopic, but your comment about hot glass reminded me about the following kinda-sorta related thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert%27s_drop

Thx for the input on thermals!