Posted (edited)

The wife bought me an AMD 3900x for fathers day. Going to put it in an MSI x370 sli plus  prolly tomorrow.It's out for delivery right now. Already updated the Bios and have been using it for awhile now with no complications no slow boots etc.And my son is sending me his old flare 3200 ram (He built a new pc)that will be here some time this week. Woohoo.

Edited by wildman2

Nice! Make sure to keep us posted. Im curious how "compatible" it is.

Posted (edited)

Same  here on how "compatible" it is. But Ive seen multiple x370 boards reviewed after it was installed and it worked fine. That said it seems all MB of same brand and model act differently to it. Ppl with a boat load stuff in their PC (HD's,lots of USB stuff etc)seem to have more trouble.Prolly a VRM issue I'd think. My pc is still fairly basic.2 HD 2-4 usb connected. Know of any free bench marking stuff /monitoring so i can do the benchmarks with current CPU and new CPU just to see exactly what has changed. I have Cinebench,Unigine,Coretemp,AMD Ryzen Master , CPUZ,GPUZ and HWINFO 64 do I really need any others?

I was worried it would come all banged up seeing as though it got rerouted more than once.Box was in perfect condition from Newegg they could have put the air pillows in better positions to protect the sides and top. Seal from AMD intact and inner box good shape.

Wont be using the included cooler in this machine.It'll go into the other MB my son sent me.Along with some swapping of other stuff from this machine.Making a render node out of his MB and old CPU from my PC that's connected  to my router via wifi and or wired Ethernet to another pc(2011 socket Sabertooth with 3820 in it).

Edited by wildman2
added sentence

If you used the stock Wraith cooler, expect 80-90c under heavy load. The coolers are okay for basic stuff, but not good for sustained workloads. I looked up the VRM system for that motherboard. I'm not familiar with Richtek VRM Controller or Nikos MOSFETs, so its hard to comment. The board is setup as 4+1 design with Phase doublers.  MSI likes to split the High and Low MOSFETS on its lower end motherboards.

Here is a datasheet for one

https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/NIKO-Semicon-PK616BA_C133608.pdf

That's why I'm not going to  use the included cooler. Ill be using the Dark Rock Pro 3 from Bequiet tdp of 250.

Looks like they are 50a from 25c to 100c. Cool

Im not going  to be doing alot/any  overclocking till I save up to get  a nice x570 MB. Just whatever it boosts to maybe.May constrain it a little at first till I can verify what the vrms heat up too.Do have a hand held laser pointer type temp sensor gizmo so I can see what they are doing heat wise.Its pretty accurate,used it at work when maintenance was using one of their massive very expensive hand held ones that had thermal imaging.Held a 1-2c from what they got.  May as well use for what its intended for other than a laser chase toy for my Mastiff.. 4 plus one does seem to be kinda light for that processor. Ive looked for that pdf info online and didn't find it in the past.THX ALOT!!!

Been eyeing the aorus extreme/master from gigabyte and the tomahawk from MSI plus a cpl of others.Really like the godlike from MSI but that price eek gad.Thoughts?

The controller is 4+1. But the since its going to a doubler is effectively 8+1. I don't think the SOC has two phases. If it was just 4 phase, I would be worried about the temps!

Edit: Gigabyte Master, ASUS Hero and MSI Godlike are the top for each company. It might be a little overkill. I know like the MSI ACE has the same VRM as the GODLIKE. So really Its easier to look at the features you want and work from there.

Ace is one of the others that I liked. Asus tuff is another  along with crosshair VIII,Asrock tiachi plus others.Still narroowing it dn.

My list of haves include blutooth,wifi 5 or 6,good quality VRMS and as many phases as possible for stability,onboard audio that's a step above(prolly most important). I don't need RGB but  who knows I might like it.

OK  little of what I'm doing with the PC......

I do my own recordings of me playing bass.Also use EZ drummer with Reaper DAW ,stepsonish sends me stuff from his band I send him back stuff. Plus ALOT of rendering/and graphic stuff for his band. I'm retired so Ive got whatever time Ive got left to do what Id like to do, like maybe start gaming again.And I listen to a bunch of different music from different inputs USB stick,CD's,blutooth,internet  or an actual turntable etc.Plenty of usb ports

Have you considered the B550 motherboards? They just came out on June 16th. From a practical standpoint, you just need a motherboard with a good VRM system. Since you are recording I would suggest a dedicated sound card over Realtek ALC 1220. Thats the best on-board audio you can get. Its fine for sub $300 headphone or basic recordings. I don't think its worthy of professional recordings. Not when a $100 sound card can do much better.

I've never considered the b550. Plus what would be recomended for the sound card?

Wow this things a beast! idles at 37degrees not 50 like ive seen in the reviews ,in Cinebench it never goes over 68c seen random boosts up to 4.6 GHz.

Was a bit concerned it took quite a bit to boot up but I was prepped for that from the reviews.Normal boot times are a smidgen longer not an insane amount just a touch.I can live with that.Real happy so far with it. Real happy.

12 hours ago, wildman2 said:

I've never considered the b550. Plus what would be recomended for the sound card?

Sorry I don't have any Consumer sound cards to recommend. My experience is with production grade stuff used in a NBC station where money apparently isn't a issue because the station would buy loads of very expensive stuff. I just can tell you from experience, recording with on-board audio is good for most users, but the single to noise is worse, so there will be some noise in the line.

I would say if it sounds good to you, I wouldn't put much thought into it. You would be surprised how many sound engineers record stuff at 44K/24 with PRO-Tools. That Hi-Fi audio stuff isn't taught in music school, just how to use the software. 96/24 or 196/24 sounds like overkill, but if you are recording a master digitally. I would hope its at the highest quality as possible. For example, my good friend in high school, his uncle has a recording studio. Million dollar soundboard, PRO-Tools and the works. But it was all recorded at CD quality... The guy came from 1/2" tape, which only has one level of recording. So I understand why he didn't know better.

Higher bit rate and s/n ratio does sound better. I've seen at least 1 onboard audio have 134 s/n ratio not sure if that was just for the headphones or not. Most are below 124 or less. I'm partially deaf in certain frequencies one frequency I don't hear at all but its in the really high range so its probably a moot point. I usually keep a good eye on the levels so I'm not saturating it with too much of certain frequencies when I record.Probably just get one with the highest s/n ratio and all the other fancy gizmos I'd like to have. A lot do the 44/24 that's why it sounds brash and garbled and distorted. Not clean.