16GB DDR4 Memory recommendations For Z370 with i7 8700??

Getting an MSI Z370 GAMING M5 LGA 1151 (300 Series) and an i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6 core for gaming.

I just want 16GB for this Dual channel boardl. can someone recommend a Kit?

The Board Supports DDR4 4000+(OC)/ 3866(OC)/ 3733(OC)/ 3600(OC)/ 3466(OC)/ 3400(OC)/ 3333(OC)/ 3300(OC)/ 3200(OC)/ 3000(OC)/ 2800(OC)/ 2667/ 2400/ 2133

GSkill TridentZ RGB series are pretty nice both performance and aesthetics wise, I used to use an 2x8 Gb kit and now switched to a 2x16, both worked well 

Edited by That_Guy

The MB QVL list has memory up to DDR4 4000 using Samsung memory. But unlike AMD, Intel CPUs don't really have issues with different memory vendors, so get whatever you think looks the nicest and is a fair price.

If you are not into tweaking or overclocking, I think DDR4 3600 is a good place to look. Lots of kits with CL16 timings and under $170. If you want barebones (not RGB), GSKill 3200 CL14 kit is a good choice. I've been using it for a few years now. Overclocks to DDR4 4000 if you play around with it.

1 hour ago, Fight Game said:

or this kit thats highly recommended in another thread here, overclocks real well, can get it down to 4000 with tighter timings  https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225144

I love those viper steals, but if 4400 is too high for the CPU memory controller or motherboard, you will have to manually set the timings and frequency to something lower. I know that kit has two XMP profiles, 4266 / 4400, but still might be outside what that CPU can handle.

so its no good for none-overclockers or people won't aren't willing to tinker in the BIOS. I would have say 4000-4200 is the upper limit before having to mess with voltages and Intel CPU stuff like uncore / ringbus  to get it to boot.

I would advised against the worst 3600 kit possible. It has CL19-20-20-40, yuck. However it will not make a major difference in games. Memory frequency matters more than timings once you crank up the games resolution and graphical settings.

+1 on the G.SKILL 3200MHz CL14 kit linked above.

Just run in XMP and you will be fine. :yes:

The gain you will see running faster memory with Coffee Lake is not worth running the higher VCCIO and SA voltage, for a few ms.  https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-8700k-coffee-lake-memory-performance-benchmark-analysis/

agreed ir_cow.  but its hard sometimes to recommend something when you don't know what the pc is being used for or what their budget is.  So I linked a few.  I'd guess alot of people would rather save 104$ vs the set you recommended and they'd never know the difference.

Edited by Fight Game

Yeah the only thing we have to go on is the cpu and the amount of memory the op wants. 

Realistically those, timings has less of a impact in games compared to total bandwidth. So go with whatever looks the best or is within a budget. You can only go wrong buy getting memory that is too fast and the cpu memory controller cant handle it.