Half_life 2 settings won't stay on 5.1 sound option

markdewet

Hi, I realise this may be an old topic, but I have just got my hands on HL2 and trying to play the game but as above when I run the game and go to the options, select 5.1 and save, then for some reason it keeps saying in the console screen "Speaker configuration has been changed to stereo speaker" and then the option shows 2 speakers again.

I have a 5.1 compatible sound card (ALC8768+ chipset), Windows 7 sound options definitely set to 5.1 and all speakers are testing and working correctly. I do not have any other game to test with, but movies definitely also play correctly with full surround.

Can anyone please help? I have attached screenshots. 

hl2_no_51.jpg

hl2_no_51_2.jpg

@ir_cow Yes I saw that, but when I check the file properties it shows that is was in fact written to, so I don't think that is the issue. also, just to be sure, I have deleted the config.cfg file and let HL2 recreate it on first run, and it does create it and when I do any settings changes it still says the same thing.

@Fight Game Please do me a favour and read my OP again, it CLEARLY states "Windows 7 sound options definitely set to 5.1 and all speakers are testing and working correctly". Thank you

@markdewet Fight Game is just trying to help. Something the simplest things are over looked.

Anyways it seem your problem has been around since 2007. All the forums I see just suggest deleting the configuration folder and starting fresh. Most solutions have been related to user error or windows being dumb with the audio, like Creative software overwriting the windows settings.

Have you tried to manually enter the value into the config file and save it?

I found an old 2004 thread (23 pages) on STEAM Forums with a few folks resolving issue,..  https://morchkovalski.com/spuf/forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread_219360.html?t=219360

Personally I was never able to get HL2 or DOOM 3 to work in 5.1,.. using integrated or dedicated sound cards, I'm not a dedicated audiophile but for me headphones always sounded brighter and more detailed,.. that's my preference for gaming nowadays. 

Edited by Braegnok

@ir_cow @Fight Game My most humble apologies if I came across as snappy or abrupt, I was only trying to point out that I had already done all the possible tests, as found on Google, before posting my issue. I am sorry for offending, not my intention at all.

@ir_cow Re adding manually to the config file, I would love to do that and I have tried to find out on Google how to do that but no luck. I do not even know the correct command or format. If you perhaps know, I would be most appreciative

@Braegnok Thanks for the link, however it talks about Realtek and Sound Blaster and I have neither card. I appreciate the pointers

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, markdewet said:

@ir_cow @Fight Game My most humble apologies if I came across as snappy or abrupt, I was only trying to point out that I had already done all the possible tests, as found on Google, before posting my issue. I am sorry for offending, not my intention at all.

@ir_cow Re adding manually to the config file, I would love to do that and I have tried to find out on Google how to do that but no luck. I do not even know the correct command or format. If you perhaps know, I would be most appreciative

@Braegnok Thanks for the link, however it talks about Realtek and Sound Blaster and I have neither card. I appreciate the pointers

Hi all,

It seems I have resolved this issue, I installed Black Mesa, which uses 5.1 perfectly and now HL2 is also working on 5.1, perfectly. Thanks for all the assistance.

Edited by markdewet
Spelling issue