Can I add a different size ram to my existing ram?

Hello, I am thinking of upgrading my ram. I only have 2 slots used and they are Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). My question is can I add 2 x 8GB in my open slots and have everything work correctly or do I need to upgrade all 4 at the same time? Also does the timing matter? I was thinking of adding these to my system. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Intel 100/9/8/7/6 Series Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXLL

Any help or recommendations would be helpful. Thank.

You will most likely have stability issues running full slots... mixing 2x4GB Mushkin with 2x8GB G.SKILL,.. also yes the timings do mater. 

Buy a 4x8GB kit or a 4x4GB kit, use your motherboards QVL to see which kits your board supports, and you will be fine running in XMP.

Never mix memory modules from different kits, it will generally cause stability issues. Your much better off spending a few more dollars and buy a 4x kit with exact matching modules.   

Edited by Braegnok

I would tend to agree with Braenok on this one because you don't want to mix Hynix, Micron or Samsung memory in general. Especially at higher speeds, you are just asking for trouble.

But..... since they have the same timings/voltage and running at 1600, the memory part shouldn't be the an issue. Maybe with all the DIMM slots filled, the CPU might struggle to post, but it would have hard to know if it was the memory or the CPU memory controller. I've done this countless times over the years. Put the slowest sticks in first so to set the XMP profile, add the other pair and run Memtest86 to make sure it is stable.

If you are into eBay, I've found plenty of 2400Mhz DDR3 16GB Kits for $70. I bought this Patriot Viper 3 2400 set (PV316G240C0K) for I believe around $65 last year. Stuck it in with my other Viper 3 2133Mhz kit and it runs just fine for a total of 32GB.

Thank you for your answers. I was able to find a video that Linus with NCIX Tech tips did that kind of explained the same thing but with a few small differences. I will Probably just do what ir_cow did and get some off of Ebay. Thanks again.