New Build

MadMan

Its been a while but I finally did a new build for myself...well in February I did...just now getting around to posting about it.  As usual this build is mainly for gaming and RGB (LOTS of it!!)  My intent was to build a system that I could upgrade in the coming years or very soon depending on the need.  So here are the components of the new rig.

Case: Corsair 220T RGB I wanted a new case that was light, had RGB fans and a decent window to display only cons on this case was fitting room....everything is tight!

CPU: Intel i5 9600K Started with this with intent of upgrading in the future to 9900k.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Budget was around $200 for motherboard...found "open box" of this for $210!  Well worth it and will handle a 9900k nicely later on.

Cooling: ID-Cooling Auraflow 240 RGB Got this cooler here from OCC from the Christmas Contest years ago but never had a use for it.

Ram: G.Skill 16gb 3000Mhz RGB Wish I would have went with faster ram but again always an upgrade later on when I decide to go with a 2x16gb kit.

Video Card: 980 TI Classified x2 in SLI ASUS ROG 2080 TI Gaming I initially installed my Evga 980 TI Classifieds from old build however I got a 2080 TI for my birthday (Nice Wifey!!)

Storage: WD 1TB M.2 I wanted to keep this build without any SATA drives and use only the M.2 slots on the motherboard for storage.  Will be getting a 2TB M.2 to fill 2nd spot on motherboard(very soon)

Power: Evga T2 1000 watt This carried over from my old rig. Initially needed it for the 2 980 ti's but its overkill now.

Fan: Cooler Master MF120R RGB Needed to fill the void at the back of the case with color!

Monitor: Acer XB280HK 4k Gsync This is from my old system.  Its a 28 inch 4k Gsync monitor. Has a random "flicker" that occurs but not in need of replacement yet.

Headphones and Stand: Corsair Void Pro RGB Special Edition   Corsair ST100 RGB Stand I got this pair from a friend used for $100 Only downside is when the headset dies...I use Asus Strix Fusion 300 as backup.  The Asus headset also has better noise cancelling but I hate wired!

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB MX Silent So I originally bought the Asus...had it for about 3 weeks until my wife spilled her coffee on it....she replaced it with the corsair. Love the Corsair more! The MX Silent keys are amazing!! Super quiet! Also Corsair lighting programs are WAY better!

Mouse and Pad: Asus ROG Gladius 2 RGB  Razer Firefly Mousepad 

Lighting: Phanteks RGB Light Kit with 2x Phanteks RGB Light Strips  In total I have 6 RGB Strips.  3 are inside the case and I have the other 3 ran outside the case attached to my desk.

Desk: Glass top desk  This is the desk I have and the 3 RGB strips are attached to the metal base along the back side.

This system is setup to play games at 4k resolution at 60 FPS with all the eye candy on and the intention of upgrading to push 4k 144hz later on! I already have a list of upgrades I want and in this order kind of. First thing is I will be adding a 2TB M.2 for storage...the 1TB that I have is at around 900GB used up.  Currently only install games I am immediately playing.  Thankfully with 180mbs internet its not hard to download games as I need. From there I would upgrade my monitor.  From that I would see how much the 9600k would struggle to keep up with higher fps. Which would lead me to upgrade the 9600k to a 9900k.  Then to really finish I would upgrade the ram for some 4000+ Mhz.  All in all though I just really enjoy what I have now.  Games run flawless and the setup in general just looks amazing.  I would like to update this post with some photos but am having issues inserting them in.  What image site should I use to insert them here?  Also tell me what you think of the new system? 

Edit: Its been a while and I just realized that there are no more signatures where my previous build was. So old build was:

CPU: I5 3570k oc'd to 4.5ghz

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77

Ram: G.Skill 16GB TridentZ 2400mhz

Cooling: Corsair Hydro 100i 280mm AIO

Video: Evga 980 TI Classified x2 in SLI

Storage: 2TB WD and 512GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD

Power: Evga T2 1000W

Case: Bitfenix Colossus Venom Window

Also I have the 9600k overclocked to 5ghz and temps never go above 80c. I keep the fans on silent as well...nice fast system yet nice and quiet! 

Edited by MadMan

BbEclMD.jpg

i8WlhdJ.jpg

iaB0uJt.jpg

g5xLIGj.jpg

o8jqC0X.png

UeidoRj.jpg

Yjpv5oo.jpg

Edit: So I ran this test at the bottom...also a side note all fans were on silent! IMO that is the reason for watercooling in the first place...still really nice temps barely above 70c on the cpu and gpu never reached 60 ran tests for cinebench and 3dmark...anything in particular you looking for? So far I have played BF 5 (with Ray Tracing Enabled), Far Cry 5, Forza Horizon 4 all with ultra settings and all run at a solid 60fps

Edited by MadMan

Hey I got the same AIO cooler in my test rig. Woot!

I would be interested too in seeing that CPU paired with a 2080 Ti.. Can you run FarCry 5 benchmark. Ultra Settings @ 4k, 2K and 1920 X 1080?

I intend on running more game benchmarks as like I said before this build is mainly for gaming...Perhaps later this week I will run GTA 5 as I know for sure that is a more CPU intensive game.  I also have BF 5 and been edging to get Shadow of the Tomb Raider as that utilizes ray tracing as well. What other games are real CPU intensive? I want to see if the 9600k bottlenecks at all anywhere...im certain there will be a point that it does but I need to try and justify spending $500 for a CPU upgrade...I was going to sell the 980 ti's for it but if I can't find any flaws with the 9600k then its not worth it to me...if I pushed for a 4k 144hz system then yeah I definatly need it...but that's a few years away for me by then the CPU will be much cheaper

Shadow of the Tomb Raider and GTA5 are for sure.  From my benchmarks of GTA5, the RTX 2060 through 2080 Super have the same average frame rate (test 4) for 1920 x 1080. Which can only mean that the CPU is a bottleneck.

So I ran GTA 5 benchmark and DAMN! for a game so old yet it still makes systems crumble...going to do this again with some less aggressive video settings to get my FPS average up closer to 60 (maybe) 

VRzpwTj.png

Edit: Messed with settings for a bit and found that MSAA and TXAA are the most taxing...lowered MSAA to 2x to keep TXAA active and FPS bumped up to around 60FPS...I am happy with the gameplay with these settings

PgIzFFM.jpg

Edited by MadMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I found a 9900K for basically the price of a 9700K so I grabbed it.  I reset my bios prior to installing and only set ram to speeds and setup boot priority.  I have noticed that in CPU-Z it reports the multiplier is set to go up to 50 but notice it never goes beyond 48 and most times its only at 47.  I even ran Cinebench and does the same thing.  The temps never go over 80C either...any settings in the bios I should disable to fix this so it can to go 50 like it should?

x0uWpiM.jpg

Edited by MadMan

Yes "Boost" is up to 5Ghz. So 50x is correct. However thats for 1 core only. A lot of motherboards will do all-core as a default, which is technically wrong to do so as its not in Intels specs. Second is the power package limit is 250~ watts I believe. Either you need to lower the voltage or overclock it manually.