Sign in to follow this  
Guest_Jim_*

Saints Row The Third Remastered Announced and Coming May 22

Saints Row The Third released on November 15, 2011, and I eventually reviewed in 2013, prior to the release of its sequel. Today it was announced the game is getting a remaster and we will get to return to Steelport on May 22. This remaster is coming to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 with a price of $39.99 for those who want to experience it again with improved graphics on the current consoles and those who have yet to enjoy the chaos the game allows. The game's three expansion packs and its over 30 other DLC will be incorporated into the remaster.

While the game was originally developed by Volition, this remaster is being done by Sperasoft, and its work is extensive. According to the press release, every weapon has been remodeled, the cars have all be redesigned, and a lot of the city has also been retextured. There is also the addition of over 4000 assets to bring the fidelity up to what one expects of a current generation release. Character models and visual effects have been improved too and the game will use a new lighting engine, so there is definitely a lot of work being done for this remaster, and we can see some of it in the announcement trailer and screenshots.

For anyone wondering if they may see a free upgrade for copies of Saints Row The Third in their library, my guess is it will not happen. The remaster is coming to the Epic Games Store, according to the trailer, and it is doubtful a connection would be made to another library to verify ownership and grant a free copy.

Personally, I am looking forward to this release. I greatly enjoyed the original game and its DLC, so seeing it getting some new attention and potentially reach a new audience sounds good to me. Of course it has an M rating from the ESRB, so the new audience should not be too young, but it is still going to be a lot of fun again, and you will be able to play co-op online if you want.

You can check out my review for the original game and its three expansions, Genkibowl VII, Gangstas in Space, and The Trouble with Clones, as I had all of them when I reviewed the title. While I remember the general enjoyment for the game, I also remember a specific note concerning the DLC and that was my recommendation to do the Gangstas in Space missions early in the game, as all three DLC can be done prior to finishing the main game. The reason I recommend this is that the DLC adds a couple vehicles to your garage, and both were fairly powerful vehicles it may take longer to access equivalents of in the base game. Of course the other two DLC also add to the fun of the complete experience, and can get you money, respect, and new homies (AI NPCs to help you), but I found those two vehicles particularly helpful.

For those curious about the story of the game; the Saints street gang achieved dominance of their home Stilwater, but have since expanded to become a household brand and have expanded to the new city of Steelport. The Syndicate, the criminal organization already in Steelport and present across the planet has turned its attention to the Saints, demanding tribute, which is not something the Saints are going to offer, unless you consider the bullets, bombs, and assorted melee weapons, crushing and exploding Syndicate bodies tribute. It will take some time to strengthen your situation in Steelport, but then you will be able to take the fight to the Syndicate and show them who the new leader of Steelport is. Along the way you will get access to various weapons, including powerful shotguns, SMGs taken from a virtual space, and the ability to call in air strikes, amongst others. The vehicles will include various cars, tanks, helicopters, and planes with some featuring VTOL capability and powerful weapons. If you want to just cause some chaos, that includes a lot of explosions, this is an excellent game to scratch that itch and with the graphics improvements coming with Saints Row The Third Remastered, it should look better than ever come May 22.

Source: Deep Silver and Press Release

Back to original news post

Sign in to follow this