F@H & COVID-19

NCC10281982B

So according to the WAN show f@h is being used to study the virus. Linus mentions it about 1 minute in when talking about building an ultimate folding rig with titan v gpus.

Side note. I suspect f@h has killed several of my gpus. The most recent victim is the HD7800. Sense I cant afford to keep buying graphics cards I've been running CPU only on one rig. Perhaps f@h makes the cards run too hot?

https://youtu.be/L15Ox1WN1yQ

Folding is better then mining for sure. The longest I left a card folding was a year (GTX 1080 Ti). Seem to be okay afterwards. But just like any computer component, heat and overvoltage will always shorten the lifespan 

honest to God my GPU is under a 3 year warranty and I would rather replace it next year if it ment we could get closer to a cure. It also means we instead of being sidelined.... We actually doing something. Tempted to Dump a 480 into the wifes system and send it but I dont know if that is a good idea.... lol. Power bill.

2 minutes ago, Boinker said:

honest to God my GPU is under a 3 year warranty and I would rather replace it next year if it ment we could get closer to a cure. It also means we instead of being sidelined.... We actually doing something. Tempted to Dump a 480 into the wifes system and send it but I dont know if that is a good idea.... lol. Power bill.

The trouble for me is f@h seems to kill something within the card that renders it useless for f@h. Off the top of my head one of the presistantand consistant error codes  (regardless of the suggested fixes (why is it always a driver reinstall?) I have found) has been bad_work_unit. I have been wrestling with that error for ages and am therefore sick of it. Thus I choose to let it run under CPU only. Like way back 15+ years ago.

4 hours ago, NCC10281982B said:

The trouble for me is f@h seems to kill something within the card that renders it useless for f@h. Off the top of my head one of the presistantand consistant error codes  (regardless of the suggested fixes (why is it always a driver reinstall?) I have found) has been bad_work_unit. I have been wrestling with that error for ages and am therefore sick of it. Thus I choose to let it run under CPU only. Like way back 15+ years ago.

Given the circumstances, I will throw caution to the wind and send it anyhow. 

Right now the issue is getting FAH Covid-19 clients that can run on the CPU. Or even getting a work unit. Servers are crashing due the the overwhelming influx atm. Should be fixed before long. hopefully they will be able to toss some CPU work units in there for yah.

Question:

I have an older motherboard and I'm trying to learn if pcie 2.0 or 3.0 makes a folding difference. I wouldn't think so, but my old board has 2.0. Debating running a pair of 2060's or 1660's in that board, but only if it isnt weirdly limiting. It would be a dedicated fold box plus kids home school stuff which isnt demanding at all for grade school things.

So I have a place for them if the place isnt slow. its a 790 chipset, and will run pcie 2.0 x8 with both slots used.

You can fold on PICE 2.0 8X without much of a loss for a 1080 Ti. Instead of a million PPD per card, it was like 800K. Of course it is very much WU dependent. I was doing it with my old Intel 3960X last year. 4 Cards, 8x8x8x8 2.0. PCIE 3.0 1X is really bad and 2.0 4X isn't much better.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! Disappointed to see I'm the top producer at the moment with only 1.2Mppd!

I'm currently running an RTX 2070 + 2 CPU cores in my workstation and dealing with GUI lag whilst trying to work from home :P Also have two cores allocated on a server; giving everything I can.

Let's see what more PPD we can add!