PS5

ivangela

So I was reading an article about PS 5 and how it will natively support 4k games. My question is how does one get that signal to a 4k capable TV? My 4k Samsung has a Netflix app built in and that's how I watch 4k content on netflix but if I tried to watch it through my PC via an HDMI connection, my understanding is that HDMI doesn't support that.

Anyone know the scoop?

Thanks

HDMI 1.4b supports 4K @ 60Hz Chroma 4:2:2. Most TVs sold in the last two years have HDMI 2.0 and end of 2019 Samsung and LG started to do 2.1 on the high end ones. If you want HDR @ 60Hz you need 2.0 or higher. But the best will be HDMI 2.1 if you want a "real" HDR (Chrome 4:4:4) image with Dolby Vision which is only just now getting on TVs under $3,000. 

Personally I am waiting for 60" 8K TVs to drop below $2000. Then I will replace my AVR and TV all at once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Not sure why HDMI doesn't work from your PC. Only thing I can think of is that HDMI connection is not HDCP compliant somehow.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:09 AM, ir_cow said:

HDMI 1.4b supports 4K @ 60Hz Chroma 4:2:2. Most TVs sold in the last two years have HDMI 2.0 and end of 2019 Samsung and LG started to do 2.1 on the high end ones. If you want HDR @ 60Hz you need 2.0 or higher. But the best will be HDMI 2.1 if you want a "real" HDR (Chrome 4:4:4) image with Dolby Vision which is only just now getting on TVs under $3,000. 

Personally I am waiting for 60" 8K TVs to drop below $2000. Then I will replace my AVR and TV all at once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Not sure why HDMI doesn't work from your PC. Only thing I can think of is that HDMI connection is not HDCP compliant somehow.

Apparently one can't stream 4k using the Chrome browser. Your reply spurred some research on my part. One must use MS Edge, as well as satisfy various other requirements. I will continue to use the app on my TV, as it just works, lol.

The use of PS5 for 4k streaming does seem to be a viable option for me, though, so I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically the cables only have to be certified for 2.1 (48 Gbit/s). Still the same amount of pins (19). Which is why they are all backwards compatible. I have some HDMI 1.3 (10.3 Gbit/s) cables that are shielded and was built to last. They display 4K @ 60. Which shouldn't be possible if it was truely only rated for (10.3 Gbit/s). It is really about the quality of the cable which is why companies replaced the number on the marketing with bandwidth instead.  Easy to repackage and resell when the new specs come out.

I'm waiting for AVRs and Pre-Amps to support HDMI 2.1, Marantz said in 2018 that they will offer a video/HDMI replacement board for the AV8805 once everything becomes certified. Projection is 2021 :wacko:. Everyone else in the game like Emotiva, Outlaw, Anthem, etc haven't even talked about 2.1 implementations. This tells me no sooner than 2021-2020 before people with home theaters can enjoy true 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) without compression or 8K with surround sound. Yes eARC works, but its kinda funky like lip sync issues and doesn't support anything above basic Dobly 5.1. Forget about Dobly Atmos.