Sign in to follow this  
Boinker

Help me choose my cooling strategy

Cooling in the Lian-li PC-011 DW  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How should I cool my system next.

• External Phobya extreme Nova 1080
    • Dual hardware labs 360mm internally.

Title and poll says it all. I want to upgrade my experience a bit further in the cooling department to reduce fan noise and my enjoyment. Lets be honest. I really need to get my hands on a small project. 

So the case in question is a PC-011 dynamic. I can either put dual radiators inside of it or put a monster radiator on the wall or at the bottom of my desk. The case never needs to go anywhere so it being able to tag along is optional criteria. 

Here is the kicker, I possess an extreme nova in the garage that is waiting for a home to call its own. I however do not possess radiators for a dual internal setup. 

Cost for the dual radiators in addition to what I already possess is going to be around 150

Cost for the phobya external setup with fans, disconnects and mounting hardware will be around 200

Let me know what you think guys and help me decide. I have been on the fence for months.

Thanks in advance, 

Boinker.

Man those 011s are nice, I modded the heck out of one for a friend recently. I modified it to take three triple radiators internally, built a bracket to mount the GPU vertically, then water-cooled the GPU and motherboard. I always thought the novas and similar were neat too.

Honestly both routes you can go would be good, what are you trying to cool? Either configuration is more than enough for a hot overclocked CPU and GPU though.

Potential food for thought/theories: the other issue with remote mounting the nova is pump strength. The longer the runs the harder it is on the pump. With two blocks and three triple radiators my friend has plenty of flow at setting 4 on a variable D5 pump so you'd probably be fine as long as you weren't going a long distance and keeping it relatively close to the same PC height (head pressure even though it is theoretically a sealed system).

What is your system specs? If it were me I would do either three triple radiators and/or nova over dual radiators. I like symmetry and think it would look cooler either way with the nova rad.

Edit: added a picture of his pc. Sorry for potato quality, it's a screen grab of the RGB color effects.

RGBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg

Edited by RHKCommander959

Thanks for your reply RHKcommander959

Its for a overclock on my old 3930K and a 2080. I want to break back into the 4.50ghz or 4.60 ghz range with the chip and best the GPU can do.

In this situation I thought one would have been enough to get the job done. One 360 (XSPC RX360) will keep things at the compromise of noise. However when warmer weather and temps north of 20-24c in my room I fear it will be to much. The attempt and motive is to keep fan rpm to a min. in the sub 800 range without forcing the system to heat the water at a higher delta ambient. 

Regarding the external radiator, Honestly I am thinking of placing the radiator directly below the case mounted to the desk. With the Lang D5 I should be ok with a head pressure of 6 feet. worst case I guess I could run a 24 volt D5 but that would be counter to the goal of the system. That is the other thing. I also plan to run the CPU and gpu in parallel to supplement flow rate. In testing with the system under a single radiator it shows to be beneficial. 

If thats not enough desk space is limited. To me putting a 011 dynamic on the floor would be a crime in my eyes. I dont mind stuffing 2 radiators in the system. Its just a matter of how complex do I want to build this loop in the end I guess.

If you want low-noise cooling solution and a fun project not requiring any radiators,.. the Koolance EXC Chiller is an expensive investment, but sweet option.

I have the EXC-800 on my gaming rig, and the unit sets in an adjoining room with chillier lines running through the wall, so system is silent.

If you are only cooling CPU and single GPU the EXC-450 would be more than enough watts cooling power.  https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/water-chillers/koolance-exc-450-ultra-compact-450w-recirculating-liquid-chiller-exc-450.html

Edited by Braegnok

I think two triples or the nova would be good on a system like that, even with low fan speed / pressure.

If your D5 isn't a variable speed one, it will be noticably louder than the fans and will drive you nuts. You can get 12v dimmers / potentiometers and dial it down, I've seen a few rated up to 60W like this - https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Dimmer-LED-Halogen-Incandescent/dp/B01C4UBMW8

Parallel flow is almost always better, that or have a radiator between the CPU and GPU; every degree counts :)

11 hours ago, Braegnok said:

If you want low-noise cooling solution and a fun project not requiring any radiators,.. the Koolance EXC Chiller is an expensive investment, but sweet option.

I have the EXC-800 on my gaming rig, and the unit sets in an adjoining room with chillier lines running through the wall, so system is silent.

If you are only cooling CPU and single GPU the EXC-450 would be more than enough watts cooling power.  https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/water-chillers/koolance-exc-450-ultra-compact-450w-recirculating-liquid-chiller-exc-450.html

Wow those are neat but so much $$, I have an old water fountain I'm going to try and make a chiller with for getting back to sub ambient. I still have a peltier that would work on the lower wattage CPUs.

Gentlemen thank you for the replies and thank you to those who voted. 

I had a moment when I was like, Wait, I am letting an online forum decide a small bit of my fate. I had to laugh for a second. Ill let this run a little while longer to see if anyone drops in their opinion or makes a contrast, But it looks like the votes speak for themselves already. Looks like I would prefer to do a larger fan setup for the 1080 radiator. Rather have some low humming 180mm fans then 9 120mm fans singing in unison.  I am curious. Shelf or mounted to the bottom of the desk? Hmmmm.

Also wouldn't that be something to do a chiller. Hmm, Later. 

Thank you again for the replies. And please don't hesitate to drop your opinion down below. 

Brenton.