Sign in to follow this  
RadioActivated

Overclock disappointment!

Hey guys I just got a new system (see below) and I am using Precision X1 to OC my GFX card and I don't know whether I should be disappointed or not. I am running Super Position @+500mhz on memory and +120mhz on core and I am getting artifacts when running 1080p extreme test.

My temps are very cool @45C tops for GFX and 67C for CPU. I did make sure the voltage option was set to max so that it can use that extra voltage if it needs it, but for some reason, I can't get it not to artifact, am I doing something wrong?

ASUS X570-PLUS GAMING

AMD 3900X 9 (not OCed, yet)

32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 3200

EVGA RTX2070 SUPER

NVMe 970EVO Plus 500gb

EKWB cooling on GFX and CPU (D5 PUMP)

No you didn't do anything wrong. Every card is different so you will have to do more stability tests to really get the most of it out. Usually artifacts without actually crashing is memory errors. 

I use different methods for overclocking because the same software it doesn't work on every card for some reason.

1: Download / MSI Afterburner (or Precision X1). Run it and set Power and Temperature limit to the max. Leave everything else alone.

2: Open MSI Kombuster and set it to Artifact Scanner mode. Than run stress test.

3: If you overclock far enough on memory you should see a error count. (I will upload a screen shot). If so than this is only program you need. Otherwise it is really just a tedious process and kinda done blindly becuase Kombuster is a vary handy program, it just doesn't always work with certain cards.

The next step is straight forward. Raise the memory until you get errors, than back it off. Now set the memory back to stock and do the same thing for the GPU clock. Usually it will just crash instead of error. So find the maximum of that value. Now step both overclock values and see if you get errors. Most of the time you will see errors, so you will either need to back off the memory or the core clock. Usually the core clock is the one that needs to be stepped back 10-15 Mhz.

4: If Kombuster doesn't work, you will just have to blindly set values, run Kombuster is normal stress mode and when it crashes, just back it off a bit. Once you find you found good values, run 3DMark Time Spy Extreme stress test. It will do 20 loops. If it passes with 98% or you are good. 99%+ is perfect. Anything below 98% I would say will yield lower FPS because of the extra errors introduced.

This is my 2070 SUPER FE settings. I had it at 155 Core Clock, but it gave a 97% in the stress test. 145 gave me 99.1%. Upping the voltage was actually the worst offender, so more voltage isn't always the answer.

NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER    

145+ - Clock
650+ - Memory    
Stock - Voltage
121+ - Power Limit (Max the card allows)

2 hours ago, ir_cow said:

No you didn't do anything wrong. Every card is different so you will have to do more stability tests to really get the most of it out. Usually artifacts without actually crashing is memory errors. 

I use different methods for overclocking because the same software it doesn't work on every card for some reason.

1: Download / MSI Afterburner (or Precision X1). Run it and set Power and Temperature limit to the max. Leave everything else alone.

2: Open MSI Kombuster and set it to Artifact Scanner mode. Than run stress test.

3: If you overclock far enough on memory you should see a error count. (I will upload a screen shot). If so than this is only program you need. Otherwise it is really just a tedious process and kinda done blindly becuase Kombuster is a vary handy program, it just doesn't always work with certain cards.

The next step is straight forward. Raise the memory until you get errors, than back it off. Now set the memory back to stock and do the same thing for the GPU clock. Usually it will just crash instead of error. So find the maximum of that value. Now step both overclock values and see if you get errors. Most of the time you will so you will either need to back off the memory or the core clock. Usually the core clock is the one that needs to be stepped back 10-15 Mhz.

4: If Kombuster doesn't work, you will just have to blindly set values, run Kombuster is normal stress mode and when it crashes, just back it off a bit. Once you find you found good values, run 3DMark Time Spy Extreme stress test. It will do 20 loops. If it passes with 98% or you are good. 99%+ is perfect. Anything below 98% I would say will yield lower FPS because of the extra errors introduced.

This is my 2070 SUPER FE settings. I had it at 155 Core Clock, but it gave a 97% in the stress test. 145 gave me 99.1%. Upping the voltage was actually the worst offender, so more voltage isn't always the answer.

NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER    

145+ - Clock
650+ - Memory    
Stock - Voltage
121+ - Power Limit (Max the card allows)

Yeah that's pretty much what I was doing, I just find that paying 1700$ for a EKWB system and only getting that much kinda sucks lol

Yeah watercooling isn't what it use to be. Now its more of a novelty at this point. It diffidently can give a much cleaner build, but as far as performance goes the gains are minimal compared to the cost. None of these Ryzen 3000 chips overclock well. You might be able to nudge another 100mhz over AIO, but once you pump 1.4v into the CPU for 4.4Ghz it will get toasty. 

Edit: I hope you didn't pay $1700 for the watercooling part. If you went all out and did the motherboard too, Its like $600

Just wondering if your card has GDDR6 Micron memory.

I have had a ton of issues with RTX cards with the Micron memory,.. and absolutely no issues with RTX cards with Samsung GDDR6.  GPUZ will show memory type and personally I feel the Micron memory causes stability issues, even at default settings and if you overclock it's worse.  

4 hours ago, Braegnok said:

Just wondering if your card has GDDR6 Micron memory.

I have had a ton of issues with RTX cards with the Micron memory,.. and absolutely no issues with RTX cards with Samsung GDDR6.  GPUZ will show memory type and personally I feel the Micron memory causes stability issues, even at default settings and if you overclock it's worse.  

Yes, it has Micron memory. I gotta say, I have 4 fans out of 8 that aren't working right now (I need 4 pin extensions) so that might be what's giving me problems.

4 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Yeah watercooling isn't what it use to be. Now its more of a novelty at this point. It diffidently can give a much cleaner build, but as far as performance goes the gains are minimal compared to the cost. None of these Ryzen 3000 chips overclock well. You might be able to nudge another 100mhz over AIO, but once you pump 1.4v into the CPU for 4.4Ghz it will get toasty. 

Edit: I hope you didn't pay $1700 for the watercooling part. If you went all out and did the motherboard too, Its like $600

Yeah, well actually, EKWB sponsored me for everything so I didn't have to pay for it hehe, but yeah the total was 1700$CAD

Well thats awesome EK paid the bill. Still seems a bit overpriced, but thats EK for ya lol. Unless you saying the whole build was $1700 CAD. Thats a different story.

19 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Well thats awesome EK paid the bill. Still seems a bit overpriced, but thats EK for ya lol. Unless you saying the whole build was $1700 CAD. Thats a different story.

nah man, EK system was 1700$, the rest of the system was 3100$ haha!