Video power question

Cespenar

Hello people, hope you are all keeping well.

I have an ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer and an ASUS 980 Strix Vid card Fairly standard. The CPU is i7 4790K @ 4399.47 MHz

I play Elite Dangerous Horizons, and recently, I noticed the FPS dropped to a varying rate from 28 to 58 for a while.

Happened a few times. I have it set for 60 FPS.

I wonder if this is a fluctuation caused by Vid waiting for CPU as mentioned by Braegnerock. (Sorry about the spelling)

The original reason I want to pick your brains is the newer cards. I have not looked at your reviews yet (my bad)

If the above is because one of them is too weak for this game as they keep adding things, I wonder how far I can go in Australia. Our top card I think is $2000 Australian.

If the CPU is too weak, I'm going to need a new board as well as a better cpu.

Please rattle the nuts and bolts and let me know your thoughts please.

Regards from Mike.

I have to add some edit:

MSI GAMING GeForce RTX 2060

Seems a reasonable card over the 980 strix. Trouble is, If I use a connector that is NOT dvi the speakers in the 144 monitor wont turn off.

So atmo I have a monitor that used DVI as well, and the game does not support SLI properly. Many users report problems.

Also, while I think of it, how does the 980 stix stack up against the MSI card? On Amazon shipped to Aus it is slightly over $400 but no DVI connection.

Edited by Cespenar
More info input, and needed.

I better do another info delivery.

Ever since 8800 sli's I have watercooled my vids. At the occasional 40 degree c and 33 in my room, I probably need to.

I like the performance of the gaming 2070, but nearly twice the price of a 2060. ( and from your review seems to be an orphan.)

Also, what is your take on the newer monitor connectors? Does an adaptor delete some performance?

Hay Cespenar, happy turkey day.

I'm thinking your hardware is fine, it's far above system requirements for that game. 

It's most likely a known bug, Frontier made a post about it a few months ago. Turn off FX Effects completely seems to fix the issue. Last I heard patch apparently on the way to address it. 

Has been reported awhile ago in known bugs. https://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/1678064284142593217/

• Thanks 1