Cheap Fast Memory Kits

Micron FBGA Decoder. https://www.micron.com/support/tools-and-utilities/fbga?fbga=D9WFL#pnlFBGA

Shows IC FBGA D9WFL is part number : MT40A1G8SA-062E : E

After confirming part number is currently in production,..

I contacted Micron Sales, Support and was told those IC's are not available to the public,.. :(

But will be released in 11-Days. They are being used on the new Crucial Ballistix MAX DIMM Series modules.

So looks like will need to wait till week of February 4th 2020 to order, and I'm thinking they are not going to be cheep. :no:

Edited by Braegnok

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/27/2020 at 10:34 AM, ir_cow said:

Alright after failing to reach FCLK 1933, I settled on 3800/1900 and pushed the timings down. I think I can still tweak it a little, but this is close.

3800-1900-CL14.png

Looking great to me already.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a lower bin Micron-E die. 

The specs, data sheets,  https://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr4-sdram/part-catalog/mt40a1g8sa-075

Those modules are most likely capable of 4000Mhz OC. Which is vary impressive for that price. 

Amazon is starting to roll out the new rank interleaving high-bin Micron-E die kits with a 4400Mhz kit released Feb 4, 2020,..

Crucial Ballistix MAX BLM2K8G44C19U4B. :yes:

Edited by Braegnok

• 3 weeks later...

so this thing is bugging me... my old i7-5930 is starting to feel it's age or I am, but i am seriously contemplating upgrading the mobo, cpu and ram, to 7nm. I have the 3950x in my microcenter cart along with the asus crosshair 8 but I am not seeing a good and cheap memory to go along with it at my Tustin store. I can also shop the egg and frys if need be but i'm looking for that seriously 7nm compatible mem that will make a new setup like this really amazing ! ... i'm thinking 64gigs and tight like 14cl ... what say you ?

i've been reading up on the Crucial Ballistix MAX RGB that braegnok mentioned ... still shopping

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294966965+4294811527+4294818366+4294818702+4294816624+4294817445&myStore=true

The newest BIOS for the ASUS Crosshair HERO allows 64GB kits to boot (better), but it was still a super hassle. Nothing about 64GB kits (16x4) is user friendly on the X570. So many post failures.....Realistically you are going to have to manually set all the timings yourself and voltages for it to run even at 3200. I can screenshot all my settings if you like for that Viper Steel kit.

2 hours ago, ir_cow said:

The newest BIOS for the ASUS Crosshair HERO allows 64GB kits to boot (better), but it was still a super hassle. Nothing about 64GB kits (16x4) is user friendly on the X570. So many post failures.....Realistically you are going to have to manually set all the timings yourself and voltages for it to run even at 3200. I can screenshot all my settings if you like for that Viper Steel kit.

oh wow ok, thanks for that cow... and ok sure please do and I will go back to the drawing board and rethink my ram needs for this upgrade... I have pretty much looked at them all now rgb and non-rgb and keep coming back to the Gskill trident Z neo ...but i will definitely take another look at the patriot set you posted... thanks again ! 

Okay so I went ahead and popped my F4-3733C17Q-64GTZKK Trident Z DDR4-3733MHz CL17-19-19-39 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB) 64GB kit back in to see what I could do. As I suspected, XMP does not work because this kit I have is 3733 and I already knew it would not boot, but I tried anyways.

I took a mixture of Ryzen Calculator settings and the limits of what MY system could do. Lots of trail and error. About 3 hours of playing around with the timing and watching Memtest86 fail. But I finally achieved 3200 CL14. I could not get it to go above 3400.

Your best bet is to get a 3200 64Kit that is Samsung B-Die. I have no experience with Micron E-Die. I don't know the timings or voltages needed for the DIMMS themselves. The SOC voltage should be about the same though since that is the memory controller, not the DIMMS themselves.

Maybe someone can sheld some light on what these G.Skill NEO 64GB (2x32GB) F4-3200C16D-64GTZN kits are. The less DIMMS you have the better from a plug and play standpoint. Those have to be dual-rank, but it would be 2 slots instead of 4. However I have no clue how low you can go on the timings. I suspect not much lower honestly. 

If you just want a plug n play kit, the G.Skill Neo ones are a good choice. I do see they have a 3200 CL16-18-18-38 kit.  But if you want to get the best deal, find 3600 CL16 for cheaper and downclock it to 3200.

Edit: It looks like most 64GB NEO kits are Hynix memory. If not all of them. Hard to track down each part number. So don't expect CL14 unless its Samsung B-Die. Seems like Samsung Kits are almost double the price! That is a little bit much I think. You're not buying a Ryzen with 64GB for gaming. So CL16 is a much better buy.

So the take away here is don't waste money of a CL14 kit for $600. I see so many kits for $280 @ 3200 CL16, but they are all Hynix ICs. Also don't expect any kit to boot @ 3600 with 4x16GB either. I'm not saying, if I can't no one can. But you won't find many people running above 3200 for a 64GB kit. I had mine set for CL20 and it still wouldn't post above 3400. I think 4 DIMMS is too much for the memory controller (without applying unsafe voltages). I don't suggest pushing the SOC voltage long term past 1.125v.

HERE are my best settings. You will want to start off with CL16 (16-17-16-16-35-50-36) and work your way down. The most important parts I've found when dealing with high frequencies or high DIMM count  is the SOC voltages and RTT settings.

32000-64GB-CL14.png

CPU Settings:

Memory Frequency = [DDR4-3200 MHz]
FCLK Frequency = [1600 MHz]

CPU / SOC / Memory Voltages:

CPU Core Voltage = [Manual mode]
- CPU Core Voltage Override = [1.325] (unrelated to memory overclocking)
CPU SOC Voltage = [Manual mode]
- VDDSOC Voltage Override = [1.10000]
DRAM Voltage [1.400]
VDDG CCD Voltage = 1.025
VDDG IOD Voltage = 1.025
CLDO VDDG voltage = .900 (Some BIOS just reads it as 900)

1.8V PLL Voltage [Auto]
1.05V SB Voltage [Auto]

Memory Timings:

DRAM CAS# Latency [14]
Trcdrd = [14]
Trcdwr = [14]
DRAM RAS# PRE Time [14]
DRAM RAS# ACT Time [30]
Trc = [44]
TrrdS = [4]
TrrdL = [6]
Tfaw = [34]
TwtrS = [4]
TwtrL = [12]
Twr = [12]
Trcpage [Auto] = 0
TrdrdScl = [4]
TwrwrScl = [4]
Trfc = [500]
Trfc2 = [469]
Trfc4 = [289]
Tcwl = [14]
Trtp = [12]
Trdw = [8]
Twrrd = [4]
TwrwrSc = [1]
TwrwrSd = [7]
TwrwrDd = [7]
TrdrdSc = [1]
TrdrdSd = [5]
TrdrdDd = [5]
Tcke = [9]
ProcODT = [48 ohm]
Cmd2T = [1T]
Gear Down Mode = [Enabled]
Power Down Enable = [Enabled]
RttNom = [RZQ/7]
RttWr = [RZQ/3]
RttPark = [RZQ/1]

MemAddrCmdSetup = Greyed Out AUOT
MemCsOdtSetup = Greyed Out AUTO
MemCkeSetup = Greyd Out AUTO
MemCadBusClkDrvStren [24.0 Ohm]
MemCadBusAddrCmdDrvStren [24.0 Ohm]
MemCadBusCsOdtDrvStren [24.0 Ohm]
MemCadBusCkeDrvStren [24.0 Ohm]

after due diligence and careful consideration i have decided to make a couple of changes to my cart:

this ram:  https://www.microcenter.com/product/613487/Ripjaws_32GB_2_x_16GB)_DDR4-3600_PC4-28800_CL16_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_F4-3600C16D-32GVKC_-_Black

this mobo: https://www.microcenter.com/product/608734/X570_Taichi_AMD_AM4_ATX_Motherboard (this will be my first AS Rock)

roughly $1,230 at Microcenter and most everything else will remain the same except I may get a new prefab WC loop like Corsair platinum 280mm but this is enough to get started with...

And a while back i was a winner of an Nvidia TitanXp which I have never put to the test, that has been sitting on my bench ever since it arrived. I know it is a bit outdated these days but i think the time has come to put it in and give it a shot, well since we're gonna be changing things and all... so this should be a decent upgrade !

• ir_cow pinned this topic