Cheap Fast Memory Kits

On 1/13/2020 at 11:06 PM, ir_cow said:

Since the price went up because B-Die is discontinued  I found two more kits that are probably also Samsung B-Die. $160 is still $200 less than G.Skill or Corsair.

Team T-Force XTREEM 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4500 (PC4 36000) Desktop Memory Model TXKD416G4500HC18EDC01 $190

Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB Memory DDR4 4400MHz 16GB (8GB x 2) R009D408GX2-4400C19A $160

Going to be interesting to how the new A-die memory performs with X570 chipset, I'm guessing it's going to work vary well. Have you tried any dual rank or double sided B-die modules yet in your X570 rig. Would be nice to see how SS vs DS modules scale, and how well 2x16GB modules perform on Ryzen.

I'm making some headway on these 3866MHz sticks, I updated BIOS to 1401 and have seen a nice performance/stability boost.

Have a solid 4600MHz 19-26-26-46 1.5V profile saved,.. and I'm working on 4800MHz now. 

4600.thumb.png.9c2b91dffd58f03b3e5a06b31546de9d.png

After getting 4800MHz stable, going to have some fun and load some preset profiles from extreme menu,..

I have three extreme profiles want to run.   https://imgur.com/a/F7bQWLa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 64GB 3733 Kit I can try. F4-3733C17Q-64GTZKK Trident Z DDR4-3733MHz CL17-19-19-39 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB)

On the MSI MPG Gaming Edge, it wouldn't post with XMP and barely started @ 2666. I think MSI and ASUS have both drastically improved memory comparability. So i'll pop them into the ASUS X570 Crosshair Hero and see what happens. X570 really didn't like any Dual Rank sticks (1, 2 4 configuration) last I tried in October.

Edit: It wouldn't boot at all with 1001 BIOS. Flashed to the newest 1201 and I can get 3333 max. I could not get 3400 to boot with just 2 sticks either. I think if I played around with it enough, I probably could get 3600. Leave 16GB Dimms to Threadripper and Intel chips :)

32000-64GB.png

I love GTZKK modules,.. my 2020 new years resolution is screw XMP,  go with manual settings and a bit more juice till it works.

That booting Windows feeling.

6 tools to help cultivate a happy workforce for your growing startup

Edited by Braegnok

Haha yes. That's how I feel everytime windows boots! I didnt do a memtest this time, but I am confident 3200 CL14 was fine since all the sub timmings were fairly lose.

On a side note 1201 BIOS let me boot(ish) FCLK 1933 now. Didnt play around with it much. Just surpised it worked at all.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:32 PM, ir_cow said:

Hmm.. I the only program I've found that doesn't require a installed OS is Memtest86. I like it because I don't want to worry about corrupting windows (because it can happen easily during boot). It is much quicker to do stability tests of new timings from booting to a flash drive. Usually it will give errors within 1-3 minutes. Make more adjustments and do it again.

I would say once it passes Memtest86, than you can move onto windows based software like AIDA64, MemtestHCI or whatever stresses the memory in windows. At that point its kinda of redundant. If it passes Memtest86, the memory is stable. This is why you overclock the CPU and memory separately to eliminate the chance of the CPU OC causing the issues, or vise-versa.

As a example, I overclock the CPU and it passes AIDA64 and Prime95 24 hour stability test. Now I set to back to defaults. Set the memory to the desired speeds and work and timings. Lock that in with Memtest86. Now set both CPU and memory and run Memtest86 again and than AIDA64 and Prime95. You might need to be minor voltage tweaking for SOC, CPU or IF to avoid a failed boot loop.

I just wish I had software to do the same for the CPU. It would save a lot of windows re-installs. Linux has a few programs, but I haven't looked into it enough to know how good it is.

I made the USB flash drive last night with Memtest86 Passmark Ver.  https://imgur.com/a/eRZLVFh

Man Thanks for the information! That's the best way to check memory hands down. :yes:

Glad you found it useful. I always recommend it for the simple reason it doesn't boot into windows. A lot of the time errors either show up at 1:40 minute mark or around 7~. It is really rare (for me) to get a error further down the line. Usually the errors at the end of the test will show up when the program is running the sleep mode tests.  So if you are lazy. if you get to the 7 minute mark, stop the test and make the changes you want. Only when I am really settled in I will run a full test.

Well I managed to freeze/lock-up my new Memtest86 USB drive this morning running the 4933MHz @ 1.97V profile :fp: wish I would have not quickly reset PC and took a photo of screen first.

The Memtest86 screen instantly turned red, spit out about 1500 errors than locked up,..

I could not [ Esc ] out, or [ X ] close software, everything was frozen. 

Have you had this happen? 

That would have been a wicked BSOD for my OS to handle. :blink: 

Edited by Braegnok

Well it seems like you are using the older Memtest 4.3 or lower. The new one is a all black, runs in UEFI mode and has small red error messages. I think it is just a matter of having it boot into UEFI version instead.

Both work, just the newer ones does the test much faster. But yeah red errors means it found faults in the test. Usually you don't just get one, but hundreds as the memory (or memory controller) isn't stable.

fMT8E.png

The version I was using V8.3 is this UEFI mode in this image.   https://imgur.com/a/oLlwS6c

I did notice seems to be two options in BIOS for choosing Sandisk partition #1 or Sandisk partition #2  on same USB drive, I'v always just clicked on #1. Will try second option now, stand by.

Edit : Looks like both partitions are the same, and both are working fine now. :dunno:

Edited by Braegnok

My bad, was my fault I posted too much, confusing information. :)

Getting back to the original thread on Cheep Memory,.. I was doing some research on Ryzen 3000 and Micron E-die modules, if you can obtain modules with D9WFL IC's buy them, they work vary well with X570 and Ryzen 3000.

Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 use Micron E-die not sure exactly which modules use the D9WFL IC's,..  I ordered this 3600C16 8GBx2 cheap memory kit today on sale for $148.99 at Amazon. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ble2k8g4d36beeak  Going to remove heat spreaders and check IC's,.. they also have Ballistic Elite 8GBx2 4000MHz kit for $249.99,.. 

Edited by Braegnok

• ir_cow pinned this topic