Upgrade for i5 3570K

Hello everyone.

My 1070Ti is being bottle necked in games pretty hard by my i5 3570k. What would be a good upgrade path? Will I need a whole new board and ram?

I'm running DDR3 memory on an Asrock Z77 Extreme3

Thanks

Edited by feetfats

You need to consider your Z77 platform is 7-years old, you could replace i5 chip with i7 chip, and see an improvement.

My advise would be upgrading platform to Z390 and i5-9600K, you would see a huge improvement. 

i5-3570K vs i5-9600K :   https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_3570k-324-vs-intel_core_i5_9600k-889

I did a crappy article a few years ago when I compared a i7 3930K to a i7 7700K. The idea was solid, execution was flawed as I used a GTX 1070 and didn't compare enough games. Anyways while the CPUs had similar benchmark results. Old 6-core vs new 4-core. The big difference was switching to DDR4. I saw 30% increase in FPS and the limit was actually the video card I was using didn't reflex how much further it "could have been". We all know taking a RTX 2080 Ti and pairing it with a i5 3570K would be counter-productive. But a middle ground does exist. No need to buy a whole new system. Just replace the CPU+MB with a Ryzen 3600 or a i5-9600K.

2 hours ago, ir_cow said:

I did a crappy article a few years ago when I compared a i7 3930K to a i7 7700K. The idea was solid, execution was flawed as I used a GTX 1070 and didn't compare enough games. Anyways while the CPUs had similar benchmark results. Old 6-core vs new 4-core. The big difference was switching to DDR4. I saw 30% increase in FPS and the limit was actually the video card I was using didn't reflex how much future it "could have been". We all know taking a RTX 2080 Ti and pairing it with a i5 3570K would be counter-productive. But a middle ground does exist. No need to buy a whole new system. Just replace the CPU+MB with a Ryzen 3600 or a i5-9600K.

No intention to build from scratch. I will need to get some ddr4 though. 

I've done some quick comparisons and it seems like the 9600k might be best bang for buck right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a screenshot of what I plan to purchase. Please let me know if there are any better options. Maybe my CPU cooler is overkill? I currently have a 212 evo cooler. Keep in mind I am in Canada. 

Thanks.

Screenshot_20191129-090445_Chrome.jpg

Edited by feetfats

Nice looking hardware! 

The MSI Z390-A Pro is the only MSI board to include a D-Sub video output which seemingly replaces the HDMI, and also they included a DisplayPort and DVI-D output.

I like the simple aesthetics, the coffee colored PCB with silver patterning across it looks sweet, Intel I219V and Realtek ALC892 are solid controllers. :thumbsup:

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1