rx 570 4gb or rx470 8gb

mihgeo

Hello all,i have: i5 3570(3400mhz-bost 3800mhz),ddr3 8gb ram,msi,1155 chipset h61.sursa:FSP HEXA85+ 650w
and i found with same price rx 570 4gb and rx 470 8gb,i read rx 570 is over rx 470 with 10% performance,
but which is good chose rx 570 with 4 gb or rx 470 with 8 gb? and make bootle neck with my specs?

They will overclock the same amount (1400mhz) because the 570 is just a rebranded 470 with a die shrink. Personally I would go with more vram. Some games have HD texture packs which puts it over 4GB @ 1080p. Farcry 5, Ghost Recon, Borderlands 3 to name a few.

Depends on how cheap you can get the card. Leaked information about a month ago (rumor mill) has it that end of nov AMDs 5500 cards will be out. Price point $250~. I suspect it will crush the RX 570.

Also the GTX 1660 Super is a great choice also.  But you can find used 570s on ebay for $80 or less. Just make sure if it is a mining card that you can flash it back to the orignal BIOS.

@ir_cow i want to buy second-hand RX 470 8GB how i view to not be mining card with bios modification?

or make the test with person X to my house-PC?

in mining is modification only frequency gpu and vram?

Edited by mihgeo

Well hopefully the sales listing says in the description or the person tells you that it was used for mining. Most of the time they won't. On eBay the easiest way to find out is to look at the sales history of that user and see if they sold the same video card in the past. Mining rigs generally are 3-8 video cards of the same one.

The main reason to modified the BIOS is to cryto mine more effectively. The goal is to have the highest hash-rate with the lowest power draw. Cryto BIOS are setup for 90w TDP, lower clock speeds and high memory speeds so that they can run 24/7. reflashing it is really easy. Just go to TechPowerUp and grab the original BIOS for that model.

The ones you really have to watch out for is the mining only cards. Gigabyte released a RX 570 8GB mining card that was different than the gaming one. It had a Mining BIOS preinstalled and the gaming card one wasn't compatible since it used different memory. This means unless you were willing to blindly flash other brands BIOS onto the card, you were stuck with it.

I hate to say this but a majority of RX 470, 570, 480 and 580s were used for mining that are being sold on eBay. I found some as low as $45. Not bad if you know the card is already on its last legs. Mining is very abusive to the GPU.

ir_cow i like you you honest men!

in this case i want to buy to person S-H in my city to no have problem...so if the person have for example graphic card with bios modification(lies to me)-Mining,how to test to view is normal or modification bios,simply put in to PC and after start graphics card black screen or artefact means is bios -modification?how view the true?

Edited by mihgeo

Black sceen and artifacts is usually points to a bad overclock or failing card.

If you open GPU-Z, all the clock speeds will be different. It might not even say the brand.

The problem you will run into is that the Radeon software will not install, only the drivers.

Really if you know you have a pre-mining card it can be easy to flash back. If you dont, than it will not work as excepted.

@ir_cow many people use rx for mining and is hard to detect because after use for mining they put back original bios,but if buy rx 470 8gb from mining  is acceptable or very bad for desktop-gamind,so fiability in time?

Edited by mihgeo

Your not going to like my answer lol.

It can be impossible to detect if a card was used for mining if someone took the time.

What I would if I was trying to hid the fact it was used for such things. In fact this what I do with stuff I get used anyways

I woukd take it apart and clean all the dust out, lube fans (or replace), reflash it to factory and add new thermal paste and memory thermal pads. Other than saying it was refurbished, no one could ever tell.

Mining is (can be) abusive to the GPU. Usually due to 24/7 load and high heat. I have a AMD RX 570 and a NVIDIA GTX 970 both used for mining. The 570 once flashed back overclocks and preforms fine, the GTX 970 can barely run at stock speeds. 

Personally I take the risk knowing it may not work right anymore. I've gotten duds before and I bought perfectly fine cards that were just extra dusty.

There isnt a one fits all answer to buying used video cards

@ir_cow

i like you answer, i like honest person.So buy RX is same lottery...

if i decide to buy rx 470 8gb tell me how you make flash?

because i read and new atiflash not work in dos(in old time atiflash good for flash in dos)you know...So you know new way to flash RX in dos? i use windows 7 x64

Sure! Me or someone else can help with the flashing part. I use AtiFlash in windows. Haven't used the DOS version since WinXp (10 years ago). I was going to make a video on how to do it...but i've been busy with other things. It straight forward. Find the card BIOS on TechPowerUp. Use ATIFlash to flash the BIOS back to the original. Done.

Unfortunately the  R9 290X (390), RX 480, RX 470, RX 570 and RX 580 from AMD were the most popular mining cards because they were extremely cheap and made upwards of $6 a day. This is why so many of those cards were used for this. Easy money. $100 for the card, paid itself off in 17 days.  For NVIDIA it was mostly GTX 1060 and 1070. Near the end 1080 Ti cards became popular. Now mining is dead again, everyone is or has dumped their cards. If it was any other cards you wouldn't have to worry about it.

ir_cow i read atiflash tutorial from youtub, but i read new version atiflash work in windows 10 and good command for flash is from CMD,

i have windows 7 x64, you have flash videocard RX in windows 7 ?

i talk with shop sales second-hand and tell me graphic card from his is for buyback,what is buypack if you know?is from mining?the guy tell me is not from mining...

Edited by mihgeo

I just used the newest version of ATiFlash today. It works with windows 10, maybe past versions didn't but this current one sure does. You also don't have to use DOS to force flash as people think. just run the windows program in the CMD. 

Buyback just means the customer traded the old card for discount while buying a new one. Usually it means they had to buy it from the shop in the first place. Anyways if the shop owner says they aren't used of mining, he wouldn't (or couldn't) know unless the previous person didn't flash the BIOS back. I don't think it would be a issue since the owner says it isn't used that way and hopefully backs it up with a warranty.

In either case, if the shop has a warranty than your fine. Really no matter what card you buy used, it is impossible to know how it was used before.