Windows 10 Older PC

road-runner

I'm slowly researching this.  I think I have the Duet installation bit down, but I went to Download the latest version of Win.10 and found out that my Win.10 Home wouldn't allow me to download it.  So after installing Duet and Refind can I just Clone my C drive using Macrium Reflex at this point?  Also there is a new (latest version of Duet and Refind).  The version is Udk 2019 rather than Udk 2017.  I assume that I use the latest version.  You no longer have to load them individually...it seems.  You just hit Duet and it loads both Duet and Refind.  Do I just disregard the Older version and Install the new one or do both?  Also, should I use Rufus or Command line to format the USB?  I'm still trying to decide on the drive and the adapter at this point.  Also, do you think I will notice a great difference in performance with this mod.?  Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Minime 939

You should be fine cloning your C-drive, go with the latest version of Duet and Refind. I use command line to format the USB but you can use Rufus, which ever you are more comfortable using. Performance wise SATA III maxes out at 600MB/s or 300MB/s for SATA II, most SSDs will provide Read/Write speeds in the neighborhood of 530/500 MB/s. NVMe drives on the other hand, provide Write speeds up to 3500MB/s. That's 7x over SATA SSDs and as much as 35x over spinning HDDs.

Also download CrystalDiskMark Standard Edition, and do a before and after benchmark,.. we will see Read and Write difference.  https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

Thanks for all the help Braegnok.  Now I have to start getting things together...and fitting everything in around the holidays (and I'm dragging my heels a little bit).  Thanks again.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Moved the 7900x win 10 machine in as new main rig, lot more power and speed than the 980x x58. Stuck a couple 1080Ti in it, blue iris video surveillance software allows to throw the decoding off to nvidia cards also.

Choosing to let the video card do the work it loads one card at 30% letting the cpu do the work loads it to about 30% total also.

They say intel  quick sync is way to go but it has no problems with 18 cameras

Edited by road-runner

Running 18 cameras is a shit-ton of hardware-accelerated H.264 decoding through the use of Quick Sync Video. The most important aspect of a Blue Iris computer is the CPU, switching up to your 7900X was a good move, as the CPU determines how much live video your system will be able to process, I found out the hard way years ago Blue Iris is not optimized for multiple-socket servers.  :lol:

I also remember it was vary complicated getting Quick Sync hardware acceleration to work if you have installed a dedicated graphics card. But since 2018, Blue Iris started supporting H.264 and H.265 hardware acceleration via Nvidia CUDA.  

Running Blue Iris system with 7900X & SLI 1080 Ti's sounds expensive but vary efficient. 

Actually letting it run through the cpu now and running two FAH clients on the GPU. The 7900 doesnt have quick sync but it handles the camera fine at 30% load where the old 980x I had them on 4 fps and was still at a little over 50% load. Got them on 10 fps now its not even straining 50%. Having faster SATA helps also I think.

I have a socket 1150 motherboard with a I3 dual core with HT in it was used for mining if I could find a devils canyon or some kind a quad core with on die video or quick sync I will use it at the office there is only 8 cams there. I hate to buy a brand new one somebody got one laying around they dont need I am sure

Here is a link from Blue Iris Update Helper, hardware performance statistics.  https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats

You can type any CPU in search, and check performance,.. left click on data box's to open full system specs.

lots of folks use i3, and i5 chips with 8 cameras. 

Edited by Braegnok

For the heck of it I downloaded the win 10 usb tool went to the old x58 rig stuck a different hard drive on it as to not loose my win 7 and installed win 10. I did not have any trouble everything works fine except I cant find that activate for free button lol