X470 ram issues

Okay so I bought an MSI x470 gaming plus motherboard and paired it with a ryzen 3600 in hindsight I know I should have went with the x570 but I got a great deal for the motherboard only $80

The issue I'm having is it will not boot up in dual-channel I have two separate kits of agiesa 2x8 ddr4 3000 I also have a kid of patriot 3000 2x4 when running an 8 gig kit it runs just fine but I have to populate slot for first and then reboot and put the second stick into slot 2 now with the 16 gig kits it does not matter what I do it only works in single channel if I populate 1 and 2 it works fine three and four it works fine but not in dual-channel I've tried bios updates with no success any help would be appreciated

OK, your motherboard has 4-DIMM Slots, looking at board with CPU socket at the top the DIMM slots are on the right side of CPU socket.

You have two channels A and B,.. the DIMM slots are numbered from left to right as follows,.. DIMMA1, DIMMA2, DIMMB1, DIMMB2.

If your only running single stick use DIMMA2.

If your running two sticks and want dual channel use DIMMA2 and DIMMB2.

7 minutes ago, Braegnok said:

OK, your motherboard has 4-DIMM Slots, looking at board with CPU socket at the top the DIMM slots are on the right side of CPU socket.

You have two channels A and B,.. the DIMM slots are numbered from left to right as follows,.. DIMMA1, DIMMA2, DIMMB1, DIMMB2.

If your only running single stick use DIMMA2.

If your running two sticks and want dual channel use DIMMA2 and DIMMB2

When I populate slots 2 and 4 it will not post with the 16GB of ddr4 3600 or my 8GB ddr4 3000. But if I populate only slot for with a 4 gig stick of Ddr 3000 it will post and once it recognizes the XMP profile for that stick I can shut it off and put in the 2nd stick of 4GB and it will run into a channel. But nothing I do I cannot get the 16GB kit to work

You can check memory modules by running single stick only in DIMMA2, and see if they pass memory test.

After you confirm both sticks are good running single only in DIMMA2 and they will not run in dual-channel together than your motherboard does not support that configuration, or your motherboard has issues with damaged DIMMB2 slot.

If those Patriot memory kits are listed in your QVL and both sticks work in DIMMA2 running single stick,.. you may have a damaged memory slot.  

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1

Ryzen is incredibly finicky when it comes to DDR4 memory. Modules do not always boot up at the correct (advertised) speed, leaving you to manually enter the correct parameters in the BIOS and then hope for the best.

Some memory chips seem to work better than others. AMD is aware of this and has been working with motherboard makers on updated firmware to improve the situation. 

Basically if you are running the latest BIOS which should contain AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.6 micro-code update, your odds are much better finding a compatible memory kit that works and is not listed in your motherboards QVL.  

Edited by Braegnok

9 minutes ago, Braegnok said:

Ryzen is incredibly finicky when it comes to DDR4 memory. Modules do not always boot up at the correct (advertised) speed, leaving you to manually enter the correct parameters in the BIOS and then hope for the best.

Some memory chips seem to work better than others. AMD is aware of this and has been working with motherboard makers on updated firmware to improve the situation. 

Basically if you are running the latest BIOS, which should contain AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.6 micro-code update, and the modules will not work in single channel using DIMMA2 than most likely the modules are not compatible, and your motherboard is fine.

These are the kits i have tried 

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820220976 works in dual channel only if i put one stick in DIMMA2 first

i have 2 kits of these but they only work in single Chanel  

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232417

i have one kit of these , same only in single chanel

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236551

All of these are supported in compatibility list 

oh and i forgot to mention it is a refurbed motherboard 

Something worth a shot before giving up,.. configure your memory so you can boot into windows, install your motherboards latest AM4 chipset drivers separate of a BIOS update, just directly in Windows. Then reset the BIOS to factory defaults, and move memory modules into slots A2, B2,.. see if system will boot up at 2400mhz in dual-channel.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Have you tried just one stick and tried Ryzen DRAM calculator? It might help, as lettings the motherboard decided on the sub-timings doesn't always work out well with Ryzen. Worth a shot.

thank you but i am just going to RMA because it wont even boot with 2 sticks of 8gb in , i think i have a bad ram slot 

• 2 months later...

Just to chime in, I've just went through a similar ordeal although with different hardware config. I've got me a 2x16Gb G.Skill 3200 DIMMs and tried to install them on an Asus Z370E in dual channel mode. Well basically after it refused to boot with anything but me having 1 stick of RAM in DIMMA2 or two in DIMMA 1/2 (single channel) I've started looking for the problem, because the general consensus is that this configuration works fine for many. So, I've cleaned the RAM contacts. I've cleaned RAM slots. I've tried XMP, updated BIOS, tried every slot variation possible, tried over/downclocking, Memtests of both sticks came up fine, then I've read that bent/dirty CPU/MB pins could be the culprit so I took everything out and cleaned everything under an electronic microscope. Then I've moved M2 drive that was ajacent to RAM into another slot. Then I've tightened/loosened screws on the CPU cooler because, according to some, overtightening one screw may tilt the CPU in the socket and some of the pins won't have a contact. Then I've checked the power connector to the mobo to make sure everything is tight and then basically every connector on the mobo. Guess what, nothing helped because of course it didn't. So finally I've pulled the rear panel off and started looking through the wires hidden there, and I've realized that the USB connector that goes from the mobo to the front pannel was touching the mobo in the area where the ram slots are soldered to it and possibly shorting them... So, I've moved it and strapped it with a ziptie. Tried again - PC booted with DIMMs in DIMM A2/B2 and works with no problems since!

So yeah sometimes the bug is hard to squish, I hope you resolve your MB/Ram woes though