Ryzen Build 2019

WhenKittensATK

Photo Gallery

CEuvfgOl.jpg

New PC parts have been purchased. Use case is for 1440p high refresh rate gaming. I was going to wait for Black Friday, but found some decent deals. All the parts should be here next Friday. I did find out that Amazon does not price match nor adjust pricing. I bought the NZXT H500 case for $80 and woke up the next day to it being $71. Amazon wouldn't adjust the pricing and I couldn't cancelled because Amazon Prime shipped it already. Pretty lame of Amazon.

Why I picked the parts:

• CPU - Good sale. Higher end AMD models didn't provide any benefits to gaming. I don't run anything CPU intensive.

• Motherboard - Good sale. This board is beyond overkill for my uses, but it was at a big discount so why not. I just wanted a X570 board with debug LEDs and rear & front USB-C. I was going to go with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite (no debug LEDs & no rear USB-C) / Aorus Pro (has debug LEDs and both USB-C ports). The Aorus Pro cost as much as this board on sale so I opt'd for the Asus board.

• RAM - Good sale. RGB and DDR4 3600 CL16.

• Video Card: Good sale. RX 5700 can be softmodded to RX 5700 XT minus the extra compute units.This will be a placeholder until AMD/Nvidia release better cards to upgrade to. I'm interested in RTX 2080 / 2080 TI level of performance but not at those prices.

• Case: Aesthetics. USB C on the front panel, despite it being USB 3.1 Gen 2. I would have liked USB 3.2 Gen 2 just for future use.

I plan on cutting open the front panel and using jmmods' tribal fan grill. I sent them an email asking if they could upscale the design for 140mm x 280mm. I was originally planning to get an aluminum laser cut with one of these designs, but shops were asking for a minimum of $500 for an order. I would have loved to see a gold colored grill on the front of this white case.

The Fractal Meshify C is another option, but I didn't like the idea of opening 4 thumbscrews every time I wanted to get into the case. The Meshify C also doesn't have USB C on the front panel. They should really give this one a refresh. The Meshify S2 is too long for my tastes. It was made for water cooling.

• Power Supply: Fully modular. I think I have the same model in my unRaid server. It was just $10 more than the 550W model, so I thought I just get up one level in case I get a beefy video card.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($177.64) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($271.98) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($109.99) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card  ($288.84) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99) 
Total: $1028.43

Edited by WhenKittensATK

Is this everything you bought already? 

Overall good choices. I agree not having a clear cmos button or debug lights can be annoying, but really unless you are into overclocking (which Ryzen CPUs cant really do), it isnt a big deal. 

I would say the 5700 softmod is silly. Seems like all it does is allow for higher clocks above 1800 vs 2100 the xt has. That blower cooler is going to keep the clocks down anyways. 100c TJ.max is normal :(

Yes, everything is purchased. I'll be reusing my SATA SSDs, although I'm tempted to swap them out for something like an Sabrent Rocket 512 GB and 2 TB to cut down on running cables. I'll just wait for a sale, since I won't honestly see any performance boost with this swap.

The motherboard probably wasn't the wises choice, it was an impulsive buy. I was already looking at the Aorus Pro. The Asus model popped up and had a lot more features at a similar price.

From the few benchmarks I've seen just doing the powertables mod or flashing the BIOS on 5700 will get you 5700 XT stock performance. It just removes the firmware clock speed cap, as you said.  It does draw more power than a stock 5700 XT though. Still, it's a pretty good price/performance ratio with either model. I really liked the design of the Red Devil cooler, but this was too good of a deal to pass on. AMD did a decent job with auto boosting. I haven't really seen many people surpassed the auto boosting speeds. I guess that's a good and bad thing. It's great if you don't want to be bothered with overclocking and only need to worry about cooling. It's not so good if you're the type who wants to push everything to the next level.

I currently have 3x Corsair LL120 fans for rear/top exhaust and CPU HSF. Debating on what to use for the intake fans once I mod the front panel. I could get a pair of Corsair ML140s for airflow. I been picking up the Corsair RGB products through this ebay seller that sells them as open box for a decent price. I bought 3 fans and a Commander Pro from them. I also picked up a RGB LED Hub and Lightning Node Pro combo. I won't need the Lightning Node Pro though, just the RGB LED Hub. I am a bit annoyed about the amount of wires and hubs you need for RGB in general and Corsair's proprietary hardware. At this rate I'll probably spend as much on RGB fans as my CPU.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

I cannot complain about free performance on the GPU, but its going to sound like a jet engine lol. 

Pretty much whatever clocks you can get out of 1.3v is about all you can do for the CPU overclocking portion. Of course the more cores, means more heat. I just found from my testing is that above 1.3v sustain load (aka Prime95)  most AIO coolers end up  thermally running away. It will creep up to 100c and above if you let it run long enough. 115c is the safety limit, but I really wouldn't stay above 90c for long periods of time.

Good news is you have less cores on the 3600x, so less heat. Bad news is that all Ryzens top out around 4.5ghz (all cores) without LN2. I cannot go above 4.3ghz without 1.375v for this 3800x. The AIO cooler can't handle it. So 4.3ghz is my soft limit with a AIO cooler. Some liquid metal and a open-loop solution, I could reach 4.5ghz...maybe.

Anyways enjoy that new system!

I haven't seen case designs in years. Adding PSU shrouds was a smart move. It just makes everything much more appealing. System booted up after CMOS reset. No luck with getting RAM to POST beyond 2400 MHz Dual Channel. I tried manually upping from a lower clock speed and voltage. I tested each module individually and only one could boot with 3600. So I sent it into Newegg for a replacement. Hopefully its just the RAM and not the motherboard. Spent 2-3 hours putting it together.

Here's a preliminary photo. I really liked how it turned out. I'll post more once I get the fan grill in so I can start laying out the measurements for cutting the front panel.

f39vvOEm.jpg

Edited by WhenKittensATK

Vary nice looking rig. :cheers:

Have you updated your motherboard BIOS from factory 0702 version.

The latest version 1001 9/25/2019 update includes 1.0.0.3 patch for ABBA boost clock fix, and perhaps it may include memory enhancement updates.

My Crosshair VIII Hero system is running 3600mhz memory in XMP mode with the 1001 BIOS 100% stable, so hopefully your memory issue is is not the motherboard.

Edited by Braegnok

I'm with Braegnok. Make sure to update the BIOS to the newest version. I had issues posting at 3200 originally (On a MSI Board) and the XMP profile didn't work. Now 4266 is possible with the same kit if I manually set it and of course the XMP works.

I have the WIFI version of the HERO right now for testing. 3200 CL14 Boots no problem after updating the BIOS. I haven't done much of anything with it so far besides checking if it boots.

Edit: If you have more issues again, try to manually set the voltage and sub-timings. I know you did already, but sub-timings are important for booting with these Ryzen Chips. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can to help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the assistance. I tried it with the BIOS that come with the motherboard and then updated it to the latest version 1001. I also manually inputted the sub-timings and tried Ryzen DRAM Calculator. The replacement RAM should be here next Tuesday. Slow RMA process due to shipping. I'll give it another go once it arrives.

I finished the front panel mod. Using the Dremel fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels makes a huge difference over the dingy ones you get for free. I used magnetic tape to hold it onto the case. I tested two dust filters from old cases but they were pretty air restrictive. I'll check out Hobby Lobby this weekend for something better.

ZLKa8Y1m.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/LhiPG83

Edited by WhenKittensATK

Stress Test with Stock Settings
Prime95 - Small FFTs
MSI Kombustor
16 minute duration

Some things I noticed:

• HWiNFO64 and iCue do not like each other. Launching both will remove fan control options in Corsair Link and iCue. This seems to be a known issue with no fix in sight since both programs are trying to take over access to the sensors.
  • The Asus Crosshair VIII Hero will show ~12 sensors, but only 2 are actually active. The others are probably for motherboard pin-outs.
  • Graphic cards seem to do just fine in NZXT HXXX cases as long as there is some air blowing.
  • It looks like I have some headroom with the 5700 since I left it on the stock fan curve. I haven't tried doing the powertable mod or flashing the BIOS on it yet.

Lu4DLsA.jpg

Can you even flash the BIOS to a XT since they are not the same GPU ID and the BIOS is encrypted? I would be interested to know how it goes. Might be another worthy guide to write.