robAP

Expected fall price drops on the new cpu's?

Last fall I bought a 1500x a year+ after it's introduction for $135 and only just now is it back to that as a regular price. (It's comfortably running 4ghz all core daily under an H115i pro rgb pulling 81w @ load.) and it's just a place holder until the 7nm process came out. Well it's out now, and I'm curious if all of you market followers think we can expect a slight price drop for the holidays like we saw in the 2k series. I ssaw the 2700x debut at $330 and in the days leading up to black friday saw it drop to $310 and then hit a 1 day black friday/cmonday of $270 and then go back up. Should we expect similar behavior for the 3k series? I'm wanting to finish my plan with the 3900x in my b450 (yes its a good one for that) and sit for the next 10 years like i did with the x4 965. If this follows last years example we may see the 3900x for $450 or 425 briefly, Especially when the 3950 hits shelves.

What say you? Am I thinking logically or should I see someone about apparent dementia.

The only reason any cpu gets a price drop because it reach End of Life status and extra stock is being dumped.

That's what I have observed over the yesrs.

If you see a price drop on CPU's in the near future, it will not be AMD 3000 series chips.

However you might see Big Blue cutting prices on it's 8th or 9th Gen desktop processors. Intel is facing a problem when it comes to price-to-performance evaluation. 

As AMD surges forward with its simultaneous Ryzen 3000 and Radeon RX 5000 launches,.. Intel is unable to respond quickly in terms of new hardware, one option for Intel is to lower prices on its mainstream desktop processors.  https://hothardware.com/news/etailer-data-amd-ryzen-3000-zen-2-intel-mindfactory-sales-victory

Edited by Braegnok

Intels solution to everything is just make a new socket instead of lowering prices haha.

Perhaps,.. Comet Lake will be Intel's solution coming in Q1 of 2020.  

Edited by Braegnok

Micro Center Denver just dropped Intel Core i7-9700K - $200.  https://www.microcenter.com/product/512484/core-i7-9700k-coffee-lake-36-ghz-lga-1151-boxed-processor

And Intel Core i9-9900K dropped - $250.  https://www.microcenter.com/product/512483/core-i9-9900k-coffee-lake-36-ghz-lga-1151-boxed-processor

I noticed the price drops this morning,.. they were at full price last week, with just a $30 bundle discount if you bought a motherboard combo.

Edited by Braegnok