Video editing/Gaming build - Budget (1000$ to 1500$) HELP!

RadioActivated

Title says it guys, I have no clue what to build. It's mainly for editing but i'd also like to game a bit (Squad, Insurgency). I checked on PcPartsPicker, but I feel that there's a lot of stuff missing. Here's what I came up with:

Processor: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (2x so 32gb)

MB: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4

VC: ??? (Best for 1080p editing in Premiere Pro 2017)

SSD: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 (probably 2x 500gb)

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold 

CASE: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

I am willing to pay between 1000$ and 1500$ CAD but if it has to go upwards of that a bit, it's ok...

Thanks for any input! :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right to assume that you are going to editing mainly in 1920x1080 and export to mp4 format?

Also how long will final video(s) be? 

Are you shooting video or just doing streaming and video capturing?

8 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Am I right to assume that you are going to editing mainly in 1920x1080 and export to mp4 format?

Also how long will final video(s) be? 

Are you shooting video or just doing streaming and video capturing?

Yes exactly, no 4K footage in view. All formats a H.264.

The final videos are mostly between 5 to 15 minutes long and negative, I won't be streaming, just video capturing ;) Thanks bud!

Sorry another question. Are you planning on upgrading that computer overtime (new CPU, Video card), or it is a one time build?

Also why are you using Premiere 2017? Since its subscription based anyways,  why not use 2019 version?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, RadioActivated said:

Title says it guys, I have no clue what to build. It's mainly for editing but i'd also like to game a bit (Squad, Insurgency). I checked on PcPartsPicker, but I feel that there's a lot of stuff missing. Here's what I came up with:

Processor: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (2x so 32gb)

MB: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4

VC: ??? (Best for 1080p editing in Premiere Pro 2017)

SSD: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 (probably 2x 500gb)

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold 

CASE: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

I am willing to pay between 1000$ and 1500$ CAD but if it has to go upwards of that a bit, it's ok...

Thanks for any input! :)

Why 2700x ?

Here is my thoughts. Basically it comes down to price and render times and what you want. At 1080P with MP4 codec I don't think you will see longer than 10 minute render times from the CPU. So basically real-time encoding or faster. Adobe Premiere does not support NVIDIA (CUDA) / AMD (OpenCL) GPU encoding yet. It does support Intel Quick Sync for CC 2018 and above. It only works for MP4 Codec, but it can shave a good 60-70% off the render times. Intel is much faster CPU encoding per core, but the extra cores from AMD makes up for it. Ignoring Intel Quick Sync, you can get the same render times from a i5 vs a 2700X.

The other alternative is DaVinci Resolve version 14 and above. It supports NVIDIA GPU encoding, but only at 4k and below. Not bad and the program is decent to use. No sub, just a flat fee to own the program.

If you are only editing at 1920x080 than really any video card will do. The AMD RX 570 is a good card and cheaper, but they are loud, power hungry and run hot. But it is more powerful than a NVIDIA GTX 1650. However if you use DaVinci Resolve than a NVIDIA card is necessary for CUDA support. On Premiere side of things, If Adobe ever adds GPU encoding, it most likely be CUDA first than OpenCL. But for now Intel Quick Sync very good if you only care about exporting MP4 videos. Premiere also has limited GPU offloading anyways, very few effects are offloaded to the video card, most are still CPU only. So the video card has very little importance if you are going to use Premiere and play no games.

While, AMDs upgrade path is much better (Ryzen 3 supported), the Intel system will be overall better for what you are doing today.

Intel Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $253.95 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler $33.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $157.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.93 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card $149.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $66.98 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1077.80
  Mail-in rebates -$40.00
  Total $1037.80
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 01:23 EDT-0400  

AMD Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $254.28 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler $33.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $159.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.93 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $66.98 @ Newegg
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1080.13
  Mail-in rebates -$40.00
  Total $1040.13

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 01:19 EDT-0400

With AMD B450 chipset, you lose 2x SATA ports with the first M.2 slot used and all but the 16x PCIE Slot when the second M.2 is used. I would use a normal SATA SSD for the OS and the NVME M.2 drive for storage and editing. You can knock off a few $$ if you switch out the motherboard for a None-WIFI version, though its like a $10 difference.

On 7/7/2019 at 2:24 AM, ir_cow said:

Here is my thoughts. Basically it comes down to price and render times and what you want. At 1080P with MP4 codec I don't think you will see longer than 10 minute render times from the CPU. So basically real-time encoding or faster. Adobe Premiere does not support NVIDIA (CUDA) / AMD (OpenCL) GPU encoding yet. It does support Intel Quick Sync for CC 2018 and above. It only works for MP4 Codec, but it can shave a good 60-70% off the render times. Intel is much faster CPU encoding per core, but the extra cores from AMD makes up for it. Ignoring Intel Quick Sync, you can get the same render times from a i5 vs a 2700X.

The other alternative is DaVinci Resolve version 14 and above. It supports NVIDIA GPU encoding, but only at 4k and below. Not bad and the program is decent to use. No sub, just a flat fee to own the program.

If you are only editing at 1920x080 than really any video card will do. The AMD RX 570 is a good card and cheaper, but they are loud, power hungry and run hot. But it is more powerful than a NVIDIA GTX 1650. However if you use DaVinci Resolve than a NVIDIA card is necessary for CUDA support. On Premiere side of things, If Adobe ever adds GPU encoding, it most likely be CUDA first than OpenCL. But for now Intel Quick Sync very good if you only care about exporting MP4 videos. Premiere also has limited GPU offloading anyways, very few effects are offloaded to the video card, most are still CPU only. So the video card has very little importance if you are going to use Premiere and play no games.

While, AMDs upgrade path is much better (Ryzen 3 supported), the Intel system will be overall better for what you are doing today.

Intel Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $253.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $157.99 @ B&H
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1077.80
  Mail-in rebates -$40.00
  Total $1037.80
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 01:23 EDT-0400  

AMD Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $254.28 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $159.99 @ B&H
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1080.13
  Mail-in rebates -$40.00
  Total $1040.13

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 01:19 EDT-0400

With AMD B450 chipset, you lose 2x SATA ports with the first M.2 slot used and all but the 16x PCIE Slot when the second M.2 is used. I would use a normal SATA SSD for the OS and the NVME M.2 drive for storage and editing. You can knock off a few $$ if you switch out the motherboard for a None-WIFI version, though its like a $10 difference.

That's a pretty good list there! The PSU i'll be using is the one that's already in my PC which is 750w so well over sufficient. The only thing I am still not sure of is the graphics. Should I wait and see how the new Super series cards perform before getting an "old gen" card, cuz they seem to be worth the price for what you get. And also, is there that much of a difference if you get a 6gb card or 8gb, because 4gb seems a bit low to me, I currently have a GTX760 which has 4gb and I find it to be pretty slow with gaming and video editing.

I was thinking more of something like this, I removed the PSU and replaced the video card for something a little more powerful:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

EDIT** I just noticed the graphics card I chose is the OC model which has the boosted clock for 509$, I guess I could get the Windforce model at 489$ and clock it myself?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CGYLrH/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-8gb-windforce-video-card-gv-n2070wf3-8gc

Edited by RadioActivated

I'm not sure what you mean by "slow" for video editing. Like encoding is slow, scrubbing the video or preview / playback? 

Encoding is CPU related, Scrubbing is a mix of CPU and hard drive speed and playback can be the video card (depends on if/what effects you have applied, that CPU has to render instead). The amount of system ram also can be a factor too.

I am able to scrub, edit and preview 4K footage with a old GTX 770 2GB card just fine for the most part. It can be a little sluggish with multiple streams going. But its 4K footage on a old 2GB card lol. Give it some credit.

The GTX 1650 is actually a new card using the Turing Architecture. Its just a entry level model, but its comparable to a GTX 780 Ti.

Edit: To answer your question about the buying the Windforce model and overclocking it, I dont believe you can. It uses a None-A variant chip and limited TDP of 200 Watts. Where as the Gaming OC model has 280 watt TDP and is not crippled in the BIOS by NVIDIA. Also I believe now the RTX 2060 Super is using a RTX 2070 Chip, so its a cheaper alternative to buying a RTX 2070 (non super).

33 minutes ago, ir_cow said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "slow" for video editing. Like encoding is slow, scrubbing the video or preview / playback? 

Encoding is CPU related, Scrubbing is a mix of CPU and hard drive speed and playback can be the video card (depends on if/what effects you have applied, that CPU has to render instead). The amount of system ram also can be a factor too.

I am able to scrub, edit and preview 4K footage with a old GTX 770 2GB card just fine for the most part. It can be a little sluggish with multiple streams going. But its 4K footage on a old 2GB card lol. Give it some credit.

The GTX 1650 is actually a new card using the Turing Architecture. Its just a entry level model, but its comparable to a GTX 780 Ti.

Edit: To answer your question about the buying the Windforce model and overclocking it, I dont believe you can. It uses a None-A variant chip and limited TDP of 200 Watts. Where as the Gaming OC model has 280 watt TDP and is not crippled in the BIOS by NVIDIA. Also I believe now the RTX 2060 Super is using a RTX 2070 Chip, so its a cheaper alternative to buying a RTX 2070 (non super).

Yeah sorry for not being too clear about the "slow" part. What I meant by that is the scrubbing part and not the rendering part as I render when I am filming so the speed at which it does it could be slow.

The reason I said I could overclock it myself was because I saw a video on Youtube of a guy saying it could be done to save money, but now that you say that, I am really not sure of which card to get. I thought of getting the Super series because of the Turing chipsets and the RTX support because they are cheaper than the normal 20xx series card and offer similar performance, I am really indecisive now :(

No worries that what we are here for :)

Are you worried you wont get a video card that can handle your editing? When I get home today I can upload a video of editing a bunch of 1080 streams togther in premiere using a GTX 1650. I just picked that card because its low wattage and runs cool. You never hear the fans, which is good when you are trying to edit and hear a airplane inside your computer. Makes recording audio a challenge.

As I said before a lot of effects are rendering on the CPU. Especially in CC 2017, mostly everything is. Here is a list of currently supported acceleration for NVIDIA GPU on CC 2019. https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

Your video editing on a budget. Ideally I would suggest a more "powerful" video card for future proof and possible high end CPU, just in case you end up working with 4k footage.