Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So my oldest son is due for an upgrade, currently he is running a 6600k on a budget asus z170 with a Evga Gtx 1080 FTW HYbid @ 1080p @ 144hz

with Ryzen 2 right around the corner I really want to get him the Ryzen 3600 at $199 it is looking pretty good even better than my 8600k 

but I been with Intel for so long a am ignorant to AMD's motherboards 

I want to keep the motherboard price around $100 any help would be greatly appreciated

sincerely yours a blue man blushing red LOL    

Edited by jdm_freek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen Zen 2 (3000 series) will not be budget friendly. Because of PCIE 4.0 the motherboards cost as much as Intel now. You are looking at a starting price of $300. Personally right now I would grab a X470 from newegg because a bunch of half priced. Than grab a used Ryzen 1600 or 2600. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IR_cow may be following it better than me, but I do agree that picking up an X470 or B450 motherboard even should be a fine way to save money, and you would still be able to drop a Ryzen 3000 series CPU into them. The 3900X and 3950X with 12 and 16 cores respectively might be too much if you want to overclock, but the MSI B450M Mortar in my test system should be able to handle all of them at stock, and almost certainly an overclock on the 3600, and it was only around $100 when I got it.

Without a doubt though, there will be reviewers testing the new chips in the older motherboards, so you will get to see how well they hold up over this next week and those articles/videos come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Ryzen Zen 2 (3000 series) will not be budget friendly. Because of PCIE 4.0 the motherboards cost as much as Intel now. You are looking at a starting price of $300. Personally right now I would grab a X470 from newegg because a bunch of half priced. Than grab a used Ryzen 1600 or 2600. 

With a gtx 1080 pci-e 4.0 is pointless and almost as bad of a gimmick as RT 

Edited by jdm_freek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asus AMD X570 motherboards currently start at $163.55, for the Prime X570-P  https://www.shopblt.com/item/asus-prime-x570-p-amd-ryzen-3-am4/asus_primex570p.html

Then next in line price-wise is TUF X570-Plus will go for $169.99,.. prices start climbing fast going up to the Prime X570-Pro series and ROG boards.

Edited by Braegnok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Braegnok said:

Asus AMD X570 motherboards currently start at $163.55, for the Prime X570-P  https://www.shopblt.com/item/asus-prime-x570-p-amd-ryzen-3-am4/asus_primex570p.html

Then next in line price-wise is TUF X570-Plus will go for $169.99,.. prices start climbing fast going up to the Prime X570-Pro series and ROG boards.

Thank you for the link $163 not as bad as i expected but x570 has nothing i need pci-e 4.0 is mainly for storage and as far a the vrm's the 3600 should pull less power than a 2700x. so i am looking at the b450's ox x470 and maybe even x370 if the price is right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect not all x370 / 470 boards will support the new Ryzen chips. While its AM4 socket. Its up to the manufacture to supply a updated BIOS. Why. Add Ryzen 2 support to the lower end models when you can sell people a new one.

They can simply say the power requirements are different, or the memory won't run natively at 3200. Something bogas along those lines. The only thing that is true is PCIE 4.0 from the CPU requires the first slot to be like a maximum of like 6" ( I'll have to find the article). A lot of motherbaords have a 1x slot first which is where the 4.0 slot needs to be. Meaning even if they "could" enable 4.0, the first 16x slot is to far away. High end boards have good tracers so that shouldnt be a problem. But once again, why enable a feature on a old product.

We will see who actually shows love to the Ryzen 2 on x370 in the coming days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MSI has already released some BIOS updates for Ryzen 3000 support (include an update for my B450M Mortar) as has ASUS. Not sure about Gigabyte or ASRock and their plans to or not to roll out support, but if only to not fall behind I would think some of their boards have also gotten the necessary updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big high-five to any company that has backwards suppprt. Right now PCIE 4.0 16x does nothing for a single graphics card. I believe the 2080Ti barely tops 8x 3.0 bandwidth when benchmarked. So if your running SLI in 4K, it might make a difference (only tests would tell and a good future article :) ).

 

So than you are left with the PCIE for the chipset. Which is also 4.0 now. That does have more of a benfit when you are loaded with 10Gb network card and multiple M.2 NVME drives. Bandwidth wise, you will never see the difference between 2GB/s and 4GB/s unless you are running heavy server workloads. When I Edit 8K RED footage (1GB per minute of footage), I'm always waiting on the CPU to decode since the codec not natively supported to the GPU. My old Intel 730 isnt even taxed. I threw it on a Intel 750 NVME and had the same results. There is a lot to be desired with software and CPU speed before bandwidth becomes an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 2:07 PM, ir_cow said:

I suspect not all x370 / 470 boards will support the new Ryzen chips. While its AM4 socket. Its up to the manufacture to supply a updated BIOS. Why. Add Ryzen 2 support to the lower end models when you can sell people a new one.

They can simply say the power requirements are different, or the memory won't run natively at 3200. Something bogas along those lines. The only thing that is true is PCIE 4.0 from the CPU requires the first slot to be like a maximum of like 6" ( I'll have to find the article). A lot of motherbaords have a 1x slot first which is where the 4.0 slot needs to be. Meaning even if they "could" enable 4.0, the first 16x slot is to far away. High end boards have good tracers so that shouldnt be a problem. But once again, why enable a feature on a old product.

We will see who actually shows love to the Ryzen 2 on x370 in the coming days.

touche' '-cow ... :thumbsup:

i have seen on several sites, (forbes being the most notable) that you will be able to run the next gen ryzen 9 on the older boards but not the older chips on the new x570...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2019/07/07/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-and-ryzen-7-3700x-review-old-ryzen-owners-look-away-now/#253aff30d549 

Compatibility and features...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems odd to me the 1800X would have lost support, but it is predictable that some AM4 CPUs would lose support on the older boards. The memory chips for storing the BIOS are only so large, so you cannot fit the code needed for every processor in them, resulting in some being cut. Depending on how you look at it though, it may be a worthwhile sacrifice to get support for the newest chips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×