bp9801

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Performance Analysis

Awesome Jim. Thanks so much for that data. 

Its a shame that ray tracing isn't more prevalent in that game. I was looking forward to playing at some points.

What do you consider prevalent? With High and Ultra ray tracing is used for every shadow from sunlight, in addition to a number of point sources that would be found inside and presumably at night too. Quite honestly if the draw distance were greater or the transition handled better, I would have liked High, for the GPUs that could run it.

If you mean you wish it were more obvious, well that's something that may take some more time to happen. Developers have had a long time to approximate every lighting effect ray tracing can simulate. For ray tracing to really stand out, it will take effects that approximations had not been created for (or do not perform well enough) or more effects being done at real-time instead of pre-computed.

We may get there some day, but at the same time, rasterization is not going away, so development of techniques for it will continue too. We're also still early in the development of accelerated ray tracing, with very few implementations and only the one hardware acceleration method too. Once AMD's is out (especially as it will be the one in consoles), NVIDIA is on its second generation RT cores, maybe Intel has its solution, and we have more than DXR and NVIDIA's RT extension for Vulkan, we may hit an inflection point and things will get much more interesting.

To be fair Jim I am bouncing off your words here. If I misunderstood or misrepresented what you said I do apologize.  Thanks for clarifying. 

Edit: fixed error.