Hi, I currently have an EVGA 8800GT in my rig at the moment.  However, I am encountering problem as yesterday.  I think my card is defecting.  i now see red wavy lines across my screen, my MSI Afterburner software stops function.  I am thinking this is the result of my card being very old now.  I've had this card for more than 10 years now.  Perhaps I am thinking of getting a new card soon, but would like some confirmation first.

Attach is the screen shot.

Thank you.

GPU dead.jpg

The newer version of afterburner probably will not work right with these older cards, so that is to be expected, however if the card's fan is working right and clean and it is not overheating and has the proper driver installed it should not show any wavy red lines. The card is just wore out, but it had a good ,long life. Time to upgrade.

I would say the card is going bad. In the sense that proabably the solder for the BGA array is starting to crack. The Silcon itself for the GPU will long outlive anything else on the card.

10 years is not bad. At this point ANY card will be faster by a lot. If you are still just planning on playing the same games at 1920x1080, I wouldnt spend over $200.

Thank you for the reply.  I found out the card is bad.  Spike was right, ~11 years  I replace my card using my brother's EVGA 6200.  Everything seems to be back smoothly.  Now I need to figure out what GPU I want to get next. For sure, a mid/high range card is next choice.  We'll see.

Once again, thank you!

• Like 1